The Relationship Between the Sesamoid Complex and the First Metatarsal After Hallux Valgus Surgery Without Lateral Soft-Tissue Release
Lamo-Espinosa JM (1), Flórez B (2), Villas C (3), Pons-Villanueva J (3), Bondía JM (4), Aquerreta JD (5), Alfonso M (3).
(1) Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(2) Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Fundación Hospital de Calahorra, Logroño, Spain.
(3) Professor, Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(4) Professor, Department of Radiology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Assistant Professor, Department of Radiology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
Revisão:The Journal of Foot and Ankle Surgery
Data: 12/Jan/2015Radiología [ES] Cirurgia Ortopédica e Traumatologia [ES]
Some investigators have emphasized restoring the relationship between the sesamoid complex and the first metatarsal head to reduce the risk of hallux valgus recurring after surgical reconstruction.
In a prospective study, we analyzed whether the first metatarsophalangeal joint could be realigned after scarf-Akin bunionectomy without lateral soft tissue release. A total of 25 feet, in 22 patients, were prospectively enrolled and analyzed using anteroposterior radiographs and coronal computed tomography scans obtained before and 3 months after surgery.
The Yildirim sesamoid position decreased from a preoperative of 2 (range 1 to 3) to a postoperative position of 0 (range 0 to 1; p < .001), the mean first intermetatarsal angle decreased from 12.6° ± 2.4° to 5.8° ± 2.1° (p < .001), and the mean distance between the second metatarsal and the tibial sesamoid changed from 25.7 ± 4.6 to 25.9 ± 4.6 (p = .59).
Our findings suggest that dislocation of the sesamoid complex is actually caused by displacement of the first metatarsal. In conclusion, the scarf-Akin bunionectomy adequately restores the alignment of the first metatarsophalangeal joint, including restoration of the sesamoid apparatus, without direct plantar-lateral soft tissue release.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO J Foot Ankle Surg. 2015 Nov-Dec;54(6):1111-5. doi: 10.1053/j.jfas.2015.07.022. Epub 2015 Sep 11.
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.