Utility Of POC Xpert HIV-1 Tests For Detection-Quantification Of Complex HIV Recombinants Using Dried Blood Spots From Kinshasa, D. R. Congo
Rubio-Garrido M (1), Ndarabu A (2), Reina G (3), Barquín D (4), Fernández-Alonso M (4), Carlos S (5), Holguín Á (1)
(1) HIV-1 Molecular Epidemiology Laboratory, Microbiology and Parasitology Department, University Hospital Ramón y Cajal-IRYCIS and CIBEREsp-RITIP, Madrid, 28034, Spain.
(2) Monkole Hospital, Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
(3) Microbiology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Navarra Institute for Health Research (IdiSNA), Institute of Tropical Health, Universidad de Navarra (ISTUN), Pamplona, 31008, Spain.
(4) Microbiology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Navarra Institute for Health Research (IdiSNA), Institute of Tropical Health, Universidad de Navarra (ISTUN), Pamplona, 31008, Spain.
(5) Department of Preventive Medicine and Public Health, Institute of Culture and Society (ICS), Institute of Tropical Health (ISTUN), Universidad de Navarra, Navarra Institute for Health Research (IdiSNA), Pamplona, 31008, Spain.
Data: 5/Abr/2019Microbiologia Clínica [ES]
Point-of-Care (POC) molecular assays improve HIV infant diagnosis and viral load (VL) quantification in resource-limited settings.
We evaluated POC performance in Kinshasa (Democratic Republic of Congo), with high diversity of HIV-1 recombinants. In 2016, 160 dried blood samples (DBS) were collected from 85 children (60 HIV-, 18 HIV+, 7 HIV-exposed) and 75 HIV+ adults (65 treated, 10 naive) at Monkole Hospital (Kinshasa). We compared viraemia with Cepheid-POC-Xpert-HIV-1VL and the non-POC-COBAS®AmpliPrep/COBAS®TaqMan®HIV-1-Testv2 in all HIV+, carrying 72.4%/7.2% HIV-1 unique/complex recombinant forms (URF/CRF).
HIV-1 infection was confirmed in 14 HIV+ children by Cepheid-POC-Xpert-HIV-1Qual and in 70 HIV+ adults by both Xpert-VL and Roche-VL, identifying 8 false HIV+ diagnosis performed in DRC (4 adults, 4 children). HIV-1 was detected in 95.2% and 97.6% of 84 HIV+ samples by Xpert-VL and Roche-VL, respectively. Most (92.9%) HIV+ children presented detectable viraemia by both VL assays and 74.3% or 72.8% of 70 HIV+ adults by Xpert or Roche, respectively. Both VL assays presented high correlation (R2 = 0.89), but showing clinical relevant ≥0.5 log VL differences in 15.4% of 78 cases with VL within quantification range by both assays.
This is the first study confirming the utility of Xpert HIV-1 tests for detection-quantification of complex recombinants currently circulating in Kinshasa.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Sci Rep. 2019 Apr 5;9(1):5679. doi: 10.1038/s41598-019-41963-y
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.