HIPEC: HOPE or HYPE in the fight against advanced ovarian cancer?
Fotopoulou C (1,2), Sehouli J (2), Mahner S (3), Harter P (4), Van Nieuwenhuysen E (5), Gonzalez-Martin A (6), Vergote I (5), Chiva L (7), du Bois A (4).
(1) Department of Surgery and Cancer, Gynecologic Oncology. Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College London, UK.
(2) Department of Gynecology, Charité Medical University of Berlin, Germany and North-Eastern German Society of Gynaecologic Oncology (NOGGO) Ovarian Cancer Study Group and Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynaekologische Onkologie (AGO) Study Group Germany.
(3) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and AGO Study Group, Germany.
(4) Department of Gynecology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen and AGO Study Group, Germany.
(5) University Hospitals Leuven, Leuven and BGOG, Belgium, European Union.
(6) Department of Medical Oncology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, and GEICO Study Group, Spain.
(7) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, and GEICO Study Group, Spain.
Revisão:Annals of Oncology
Data: 4/Jun/2018Ginecologia e Obstetrícia [ES] Oncologia Médica
Undergoing an era of revolutionary new knowledge and advances in the systemic and surgical treatment of peritoneally disseminated epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC), we never before have been confronted with such a plethora of novel targeted agents, genetically based treatment strategies and cutting edge surgical techniques that enrich our armamentarium in the fight against this deadly disease (1-3). Still, our art as clinicians is to put all this new body of knowledge into the right context so that we can help our patients without compromising their care through an enthusiastic effort of implementing new therapeutic approaches that are not yet sufficiently validated or confirmed.
A characteristic example of such an enthusiastic endeavor is the incorporation of hyperthermic-intraperitoneal-chemotherapy (HIPEC) in the multimodal treatment concept of advanced EOC. It has already been implemented since years without any acceptable level of evidence from a controlled randomized trial. Has this gap now been closed and is HIPEC
ready for prime time?
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Ann Oncol. 2018 Jun 4. doi: 0.1093/annonc/mdy198
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.