"It is advisable to go to the ophthalmological examinations from the age of 3 and a half for the early detection of any visual alteration still latent, if you have a family history or before, if there are any symptoms".
DR. JESÚS BARRIO BARRIO
SPECIALIST. OPHTHALMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Astigmatism is one of the most common problems during childhood. It consists of an alteration of the vision due to that the cornea, that is a spherical surface, suffers a flattening in its poles, becoming oval.
The objects are focused in several different points of the retina, which causes a blurred vision of far and near. It is frequently associated with myopia or hyperopia.
How to detect it:
- The shape of the objects is distorted.
- It produces blurred vision, both far and near.
- Symptoms of visual fatigue are produced.
- Astigmatism usually remains stable throughout life.
Do you need a remote second opinion?
Our professionals will provide you with a medical evaluation without you having to leave your home.
What are the symptoms of astigmatism?
Except in the mildest degrees, there is a decrease in visual acuity, both in near and far vision, as well as a defective perception of the images, which are elongated.
Symptoms of accommodative asthenopia are frequent, in an effort to see clearly.
The most common symptoms are:
- Decrease in visual acuity.
- Distorted vision.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
You may suffer from astigmatism
Types of Astigmatism
- Regular astigmatism: is the most common. It occurs when the two main refractive meridians form a right angle. It is almost always due to a congenital alteration of the cornea, which presents different degree of curvature in perpendicular meridians.
- Irregular astigmatism: it is produced by lack of regularity in the refracting surfaces, generally the cornea (corneal scars) and, more rarely, the crystalline (incipient opacities, lenticon). It is difficult to correct with lenses, since the main meridians do not form a right angle.
What are the causes of astigmatism?
Astigmatism is generally due to the fact that the cornea does not have a constant curvature (like an orange), but rather an orientation that is more curved than perpendicular (like a tangerine), which conditions the blurring of the image to predominate in a direction that can be vertical, horizontal or oblique.
How is astigmatism treated?
An annual check-up with the ophthalmologist is important for early detection
Optical correction with glasses is done by means of cylindrical or spherical lenses if, as usual, it is associated with a spherical defect (myopia or hyperopia).
Correction by means of contact lenses is possible, but generally worse tolerated and with worse optical results than spherical type defects.
The excimer laser allows the correction of moderate astigmatism, up to about 4 diopters.
Where do we treat it?
IN NAVARRE AND MADRID
The Department of Ophthalmology
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
Equipped with the latest technology, the Department of Ophthalmology has the necessary equipment, both technical and human, to offer comprehensive and specific assistance to each patient.
We are one of the few centers that have a microsurgery laboratory for the improvement of clinical practice.
Organized in specialized units
- Cornea and eye surface
- General Ophthalmology
- Refraction defects
- Pediatric ophthalmology
Why at the Clinica?
- More than 25 years of experience.
- Experts in the diagnosis and treatment of ocular pathologies.
- With the security and guarantee of a prestigious hospital.
Our team of professionals
Safer than ever to continue taking care of you
We update safety protocols weekly with the latest scientific evidence and the knowledge of the best international centers with which we collaborate.