Autoimmune polyglandular syndrome
"Generally, these are glandular hypofunctions, except in the case of the thyroid, which can appear as both hypo and hyperfunction".
DR. CAMILO SILVA FROJÁN
SPECIALIST. ENDOCRINOLOGY AND NUTRITION DEPARTMENT
What is autoimmune polyglandular syndrome?
The autoimmune polyglandular syndrome is a group of syndromes that have in common to be the association of two or more diseases of the endocrine system associated with other pathologies of autoimmune cause.
To the functional alterations of two or more glands are associated other non-endocrine autoimmune disorders, being the cutaneous the most common.
The treatment is based on addressing each of the endocrine pathologies that appear. Immunosuppressive therapies have been tried with good results in some cases.
The future seems to lie in gene therapy, especially in type I syndrome, since the mutated gene is well known.
Do you need a remote second opinion?
Our professionals will provide you with a medical evaluation without you having to leave your home.
What are the symptoms of polyglandular autoimmune syndrome?
The most common symptoms are:
- Diabetes mellitus.
- Adrenal insufficiency.
- Hyperthyroidism or hypothyroidism.
- Others: alopecia, vitiligo, rheumatic diseases, etc.
Do you have any of these symptoms?
You may have a polyglandular autoimmune syndrome
How is polyglandular autoimmune syndrome diagnosed?
The diagnosis of the polyglandular autoimmune syndrome, both of the patient and his or her family members, is made with
- Determination of glycemia in cases of diabetes.
- Cosintropin stimulation test in adrenal insufficiency.
- Determination of TSH, luteinizing hormone and follicle stimulating hormone.
- Testosterone concentrations in men.
If the diagnosis in the family is of a probable type I, we must add the detection of calcium and phosphorus.
How is polyglandular autoimmune syndrome treated?
The treatment is based on addressing each of the endocrine pathologies that appear.
Immunosuppressive therapies have been tried with good results in some cases.
Where do we treat it?
IN NAVARRA AND MADRID
The Department of Endocrinology and Nutrition of the
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
The Department is organized into care units with specialists totally dedicated to the study, diagnosis and treatment of this type of disease.
We work with established protocols, which ensure that all diagnostic tests to be performed are done in the shortest time possible and that the most appropriate treatment is started as soon as possible in each case.
Organized in care units
- Obesity Area.
- Diabetes Unit.
- Thyroid and Parathyroid Disease Unit.
- Osteoporosis Unit
- Other diseases: e.g. Cushing's syndrome.
Why at the Clinica?
- European Center of Excellence in the diagnosis and treatment of Obesity.
- Team of specialized nurses at the Day Hospital of Endocrinology and Nutrition.
- We have a Metabolic Research Laboratory of international prestige.