Dr. Juan Carlos Galofré Ferrater
Specialist in Endocrinology and Nutrition
Preferential dedication to thyroid cancer, other thyroid diseases, especially during pregnancy, and neuroendocrinology (diseases of the pituitary gland)
Degree in Medicine (Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona); Doctor of Medicine (Universidad de Santiago de Compostela); specialist in Endocrinology and Nutrition (Universidad de Navarra).
Post-doctoral studies. Laboratory of Cancer Gene Therapy (University of Navarra).
Training or collaboration stays abroad:
Clinical Research Fellow (Endocrinology, Metabolism and Diabetes; Department of Medicine, University of Wales College of Medicine, Heath Park, Cardiff. Reino Unido) 2004.
Visiting Professor (Thyroid Research Unit; Department of Medicine, Mount Sinai School of Medicine. New York University. The Mount Sinai Hospital and the James J. Peters VA Medical Center, New York, New York, USA) 2006-2008.
Observer (Department of Endocrine Neoplasia and Hormonal Disorders. M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. University of Texas. Houston. Texas. USA) 2008.
- Researcher of projects with competitive funding: FIS, NIH (USA), Government of Navarra, University of Navarra Foundation and Mount Sinai School of Medicine (USA). The area of research has been focused on thyroid pathology related to pregnancy and thyroid cancer.
- Evaluator of the training stays of visiting doctors.
- Member of the Advisory Council of Endocrinology, Diabetes and Nutrition (Organ of expression of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition and the Spanish Society of Diabetes).
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Thyroid diseases: thyroid cancer, thyroid nodule, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism and thyroid disease during pregnancy.
- Neuroendocrinology (diseases of the pituitary gland).
- Diseases of the adrenal gland.
- Diseases of the parathyroid glands.
As an educator
- Accredited as a Titular Professor (ANECA).
- Vice-Dean of Academic Organization (2016-18) and of Teachers (2018-19). Faculty of Medicine. University of Navarra.
- Titular Professor of Endocrinology and Nutrition in the Degree in Medicine and Surgery of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra. School of Medicine, (University of Navarra).
- Professor in charge of the subjects International Hospital Rotation I, II and III, (electives of the School of Medicine).
He teaches the subjects of Physiology (School of Medicine) and Physiopathology (School of Pharmacy).
- Tutor of the Faculty of Medicine (ordinary and foreign students).
As a researcher
- More than 65 publications in national and international scientific journals
- Editor of two books. Author of more than 30 chapters among which: two chapters in the manual on Thyroid Cancer (Elsvier, 2014), two chapters in the manual on Clinic and Laboratory (Elsevier Masson, 2006, re-edited and corrected in 2010 and 2014), one chapter in the manual on Practical Clinical Exploration (Elsevier, 2016) and one chapter on Postpartum Thyroiditis in: The Thyroid and its Diseases (Springer 2019).
- Invited speaker at regional, national (national endocrinology, nuclear medicine, surgery) and international (European Thyroid Association, European Society of Endocrinology) congresses, courses or symposia.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (SEEN).
- Member of the European Thyroid Association.
- Member of the European Society of Endocrinology.
- National coordinator of the Thyroid Knowledge Area of the SEEN (2012-present).
- Organizer and promoter of the creation of the Young Endocrinology Group of the SEEN.
- Member of the Subclinical Thyroid Dysfunction Working Group (2006-09).
- Member of the scientific committee of the SEEN congresses since 2014.
- President of the local scientific committee of the 38th Congress of the European Thyroid Association (2014).
Latest scientific publications
- Co-occurrence of mutations in NF1 and other susceptibility genes in pheochromocytoma and paraganglioma Jan 25, 2023 | Magazine: Frontiers in Endocrinology
- Validation of dynamic risk stratification and impact of BRAF in risk assessment of thyroid cancer, a nation-wide multicenter study Jan 13, 2023 | Magazine: Frontiers in Endocrinology