Dr. Javier Escalada San Martín
Preferential dedication to the study and treatment of Diabetes Mellitus; Study and endocrinological treatment of gastroenteropancreatic tumors.
Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the University of the Basque Country (1986) and Doctor of Medicine from the University of Alcalá de Henares (1994). Specialist in Endocrinology, Metabolism and Nutrition at the Hospital Ramón y Cajal in Madrid (1988-1991).
Assistant at the Endocrinology Service of the Santiago Apóstol Hospital (Vitoria) from June 1994 to May 2005.
Assistant of the Endocrinology Service at the Hospital Clínico Universitario "Lozano Blesa" from May 2005 to September 2007.
Medical specialist of the Department of Endocrinology and Nutrition of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra since September 2007.
Director of the Department of Endocrinology and Nutrition since June 2018.
- He is associate editor of the official journal of the Spanish Society of Diabetes, Advances in Diabetology.
- Reviewer of the journals Journal of Diabetes and its Complications, European Journal of Clinical Investigation, Endocrinology and Nutrition, Advances in Diabetology.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Cell therapy and diabetes mellitus.
- Diabetic nephropathy: new pathogenic pathways in chronic renal disease of diabetes and possible future therapeutic targets.
- Diabetes mellitus and cardiovascular disease. Cardioprotective mechanisms of GLP-1.
As an educator
- Associate Professor (Health Sciences), Faculty of Medicine, University of Zaragoza
- Professor of the Master's Degree "University Expert in the Treatment of Type 2 Diabetes". Chair of diabetes mellitus type 2 at the University of Alcalá de Henares.
- Associate Professor of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra.
- Member of the Teaching Committee of the Clinic.
As a researcher
- He has written more than 50 articles in scientific publications in the field.
- He has presented more than 100 communications in congresses and other national and international scientific meetings.
- He has participated as principal investigator in 4 research projects and as associate investigator in other 9 projects.
- President of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition
- Associate member of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition
- Member of the Board of Directors of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition (2004-2006).
- Associate member of the Spanish Society of Diabetes
- He belongs to the Consensus Group of the Spanish Society of Diabetes and the Diabetes Group of the Spanish Society of Endocrinology and Nutrition.
Latest scientific publications
- Obese patients with NASH have increased hepatic expression of SARS-CoV-2 critical entry points [SP] Feb 1, 2021 | Magazine: Journal of Hepatology
- Optimization of pseudo-continuous arterial spin labeling for renal perfusion imaging Oct 5, 2020 | Magazine: Magnetic Resonance Medicine