"It is a virtually painless treatment that, with very few sessions, achieves a significant improvement in the symptoms of vaginal dryness".
DR. BEGOÑA OLARTECOECHEA LINAJE SPECIALIST. GYNAECOLOGY AND OBSTETRICS DEPARTMENT
What is the purpose of the vaginal laser?
There are different situations throughout a woman's life that can cause a decrease in estrogen, the main female sex hormone.
Menopause is the most frequent cause, but it can also occur after childbirth, during breastfeeding and also in women who have been treated with chemotherapy or radiotherapy for a tumor process.
The loss of estrogen causes vulvovaginal atrophy, which causes the area to become narrower and shorter, receives less blood supply and consequently loses elasticity and lubrication, making sexual intercourse painful and unsatisfactory.
Do you need our help?
Contact with us
When is vaginal laser treatment indicated?
- Altered response to sexual stimuli:
- Altered desire.
- Difficulty in arousal.
- Difficulty in orgasm.
- Decreased frequency of intercourse.
- Decreased quality of life.
- Life as a couple is affected.
- Decreased self-esteem.
Symptoms that will improve with vaginal laser treatment:
- Dyspareunia (pain during sexual intercourse)
- Dysuria (discomfort during urination)
Do you have any of these problems?
Vaginal laser can improve these symptoms
What does vaginal laser treatment consist of?
It is an effective treatment that is performed on an outpatient basis and without the need for hospitalization.
It is performed in a special room in the Gynecology Department and each session lasts about 20 minutes. It is also a painless procedure, so it is not necessary to use antibiotics or painkillers after the session, and, at most, it requires topical anesthesia (cream).
After the session you can live a completely normal life.
As a general rule, for symptoms to disappear or improve significantly, 3 sessions spaced at intervals of 3 and 8 weeks are necessary. After one year, an assessment will be made as to whether a reminder session is necessary.
With the application of the vaginal laser a controlled temperature increase is achieved in that area.
As a consequence of this "thermal shock" to which the cells of the vulva and vagina are subjected, a mechanism is activated by which the production of TGF-beta is stimulated. This compound produces a stimulation of the growth of fibroblasts which are responsible for the production of collagen and improve the extracellular matrix.
After the sessions, the vulvovaginal tissue becomes more elastic and lubricated, which substantially improves the woman's previous symptoms.
The main benefits of the treatment are:
- Regenerates tissues, improves lubrication, reduces dryness and recovers natural elasticity in addition to improving pelvic floor hyperlaxity.
- Improves bladder functionality and reduces or helps prevent mild urinary incontinence.
- Reduces discomfort during urination or sexual intercourse.
- Relieves vulvo-vaginal itching and burning sensation. May improve the symptoms of patients who have chronic discomfort due to alteration in the pH of the vagina.
Where do we do it?
The Department of Gynecology and Obstetrics of the
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
Comprehensive care that includes a wide range of consultation and treatment options from regular preventive screening to the most advanced diagnostic and treatment options for obstetric and gynecological problems at all ages.
The department also offers routine pregnancy monitoring that includes a variety of diagnostic and screening procedures to identify potential problems of the fetus as well as its proper growth and development.
Why at the Clinica?
- Highly specialized team of doctors, nurses and midwives.
- Reproduction and Fertility Unit.
- Pregnancy follow-up with a personalized delivery.
- All the comfort, with the guarantee and safety of a hospital with the most advanced equipment.