Degree (1986) and Doctor in Medicine and Surgery (2000) from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. He specialized in Gynecology at the Hospital La Paz in Madrid (1988-1991).
In 1994 he completed a fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at Rush Presbyterian St. Lukes' Medical Center in Chicago and subsequently worked in the Gynecologic Oncology Service of the Hospital Gregorio Marañón between 1995 and 2002.
For the last 14 years he has been director, since its creation, of the Gynecologic Oncology Department at MD Anderson Center in Madrid, where he was head of the Surgical Oncology area between 2008 and 2010.
- Infertility treatment without embryo manipulation
- Surgery for advanced ovarian cancer
- Hereditary female cancer
- Fertility preservation in female cancers
- Teaching models in surgical anatomy for gynecologists.
In addition, he has participated in more than 25 clinical trials related to Gynecologic Oncology.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Gynecologic Oncology and Breast Pathology
- Sterility without embryo manipulation
- Oncologic and reconstructive surgery
- Laparoscopic surgery
- Bioethics in Gynecology and Obstetrics
As an educator
- Associate Professor of Gynecology and Obstetrics at the Complutense University of Madrid.
- Professor of the Department of Gynecology at the University of Texas since 2005.
- Professor of Surgical Oncology at the Francisco de Vitoria University since 2014.
- During the last years he has been the Director of the Teaching Committee and member of the Research Committee at MD Anderson.
- Extraordinary Professor of the School of Medicine of the University of Navarra since December 2016.
- Editor in chief of ESGO of eAcademy since May 2020.
As a researcher
Member of the Scientific Committee of the American Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO) and the only Spanish member of the Quality Assessment Committee in Ovarian Cancer Surgery of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology (ESGO).
Member of the Scientific Committee of the Spanish Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (SEGO).
- Founder and editor of the journal "Gynecologic Oncology: a multidisciplinary approach".
- He has published more than 100 papers in national and international journals and has been invited as a speaker on more than 200 occasions.
- He has written 21 book chapters and has organized 39 congresses.
- Involvement of the adrenal ovary in female hyper androgenism. Award of the Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology of Madrid. First edition.
- Factors of persistence and recurrence of high grade sil after conization. Communication Award, meeting of the Oncologic Gynecology section of the SEGO. Valencia. November 1996.
- Multivariate analysis of prognostic factors in epithelial ovarian cancer. Best Poster. XXII Meeting of the Gynecologic Oncology Section of the SEGO. Cáceres. October 1999.
- Best Doctors Award 2012. Specialty Gynecology.
- Full member of the American Society of Gynecologic Oncology (SGO).
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Spanish Society of Gynecology and Obstetrics (SEGO).
- Member of the European Society of Surgical Oncology.
- Member of the International Society of Gynecologic Cancer.
- Member of the European Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
- Member of the International Federation of Gynecology and Obstetrics.
- Member of the International Society of Cervical and Lower Genital Tract Pathology.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Gynecologic Oncology and Breast Pathology.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Surgical Oncology.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Surgeons.
- Member of the Spanish Association of Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Multiple National Meetings.
- Honorary Member of the Argentine Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
- Honorary Member of the Hellenic Society of Gynecologic Oncology.
Latest scientific publications
- Role of cardiophrenic lymph node removal in advanced ovarian cancer Dec 3, 2020 | Magazine: International Journal of Gynecological Cancer
- Perspectives, fears and expectations of patients with gynaecological cancers during the COVID-19 pandemic Nov 18, 2020 | Magazine: Cancer Medicine