Wireless inertial measurement unit (IMU)-based posturography
Valldeperes A (1), Altuna X (1), Martinez-Basterra Z (1), Rossi-Izquierdo M 2, Benitez-Rosario J (3), Perez-Fernandez N (4), Rey-Martinez J (5,6).
(1) Neurolotlogy Unit, ENT Department, Hospital Universitario Donostia, Donostia, Spain.
(2) Otorhinolaryngology Unit, Hospital Lucus Augusti, Lugo, Spain.
(3) ENT Department, Hospital Universitario Dr. Negrín, Las Palmas deGran Canaria, Spain.
(4) ENT Department, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, Spain.
(5) Neurolotlogy Unit, ENT Department, Hospital Universitario Donostia, Donostia, Spain.
(6) Departamento de Otorrinolaringología, Hospital Universitario Donostia, Paseo Doctor Beguiristain, 20014, Donostia, Spain.
Magazine: European Archives Oto-rhino-laringology
Date: Aug 23, 2019Otorhinolaryngology Department [SP]
Classical posturography techniques have been recently enhanced by the use of different motion tracking devices, but for technical reasons they are not used to track directly the body spatial position of a subject.
To describe and clinically evaluate a wireless inertial measurement unit-based mobile system to track body position changes.
The developed system used a calculus transformation method using the acceleration data corrected by Kalman and Butterworth filters to output position data. A prospective non-randomized clinical study involving 15 healthy subjects was performed to evaluate the agreement between the confidence ellipse areas synchronously measured by the new developed system and a classical posturography system while performing a modified clinical test of sensory interaction in balance.
The overall intra-class correlation index was 0.93 (CI 0.89, 0.96). Grouped by conditions, under conditions 1-4, Pearson's correlation was 0.604, 0.78, 0.882, and 0.81, respectively.
The developed wireless inertial measurement unit-based posturography system was valid for tracking the sway variances in normal subjects under habitual clinical testing conditions. Further studies are needed to validate this system on patients and also under other posture conditions.
CITATION Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol. 2019 Aug 23. doi: 10.1007/s00405-019-05607-1
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.