Vitamin D and Age-Related Macular Degeneration
Layana AG (1), Minnella AM (2), Garhöfer G (3), Aslam T (4,5), Holz FG (6), Leys A (7), Silva R (8,9,10,11), Delcourt C (12), Souied E (13), Seddon JM (14,15).
(1) Clínica Universidad de Navarra, University of Navarra, 31009 Pamplona, Spain.
(2) Dipartimento di Scienze Otorinolaringoiatriche e Oftalmologiche, Universita' Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Lgo F. Vito 1, 00168 Roma, Italy.
(3) Department of Clinical Pharmacology, University of Vienna, 1090 Vienna, Austria.
(4) School of Pharmacy and Optometry, Faculty of Biology, Medicine and Health, University of Manchester, Manchester M13 9PL, UK.
(5) Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Manchester Academic Health Science Centre, M13 9WL Manchester, and Heriot Watt University, Edinburgh EH14 4AS, UK.
(6) Department of Ophthalmology, University of Bonn, D-53107 Bonn, Germany.
(7) Department of Ophthalmology, University Hospitals Leuven, 3000 Leuven, Belgium.
(8) Faculty of Medicine, Institute for Biomedical Imaging and Life Sciences (IBILI), University of Coimbra, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal.
(9) Centro Hospitalar e Universitário de Coimbra (CHUC), Department of Ophthalmology, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal.
(10) Centro Hospitalar e Universitário de Coimbra (CHUC), Faculty of Medicine, Institute for Biomedical Imaging and Life Sciences (IBILI-FMUC), University of Coimbra, 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal.
(11) Centro Hospitalar e Universitário de Coimbra (CHUC), Association for Innovation and Biomedical Research on Light and Image (AIBILI), 3000-548 Coimbra, Portugal.
(12) University of Bordeaux, INSERM, Bordeaux Population Health Research Center, Team LEHA, UMR 1219, F-33000 Bordeaux, France.
(13) Hôpital Intercommunal de Créteil, University Paris Est, 94010 Créteil, France.
(14) Department of Ophthalmology, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, MA 02111, USA
(15)Ophthalmic Epidemiology and Genetics Service, Tufts Medical Center, Boston, MA 02111, USA.
Date: Oct 13, 2017Ophthalmology [SP]
In recent years, the relationship between vitamin D and health has received growing attention from the scientific and medical communities.
Vitamin D deficiencies have been repeatedly associated with various acute and chronic diseases, including age-related macular degeneration (AMD). Its active metabolite, 1α,25-dihydoxy vitamin D, acts as a modulator of cell proliferation, differentiation and apoptosis, and cumulative data from experimental and observational studies suggest that relatively a lower vitamin D status could be a potential risk factor for the development of early and/or late AMD.
Herein, we made a narrative review of the mechanisms linking a potential role of vitamin D with the current concepts of AMD pathophysiology.
CITATION Nutrients. 2017 Oct 13;9(10). pii: E1120. doi: 10.3390/nu9101120.
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.