Transcranial static magnetic field stimulation (tSMS) of the visual cortex decreases experimental photophobia
Lozano-Soto E (1), Soto-León V (1), Sabbarese S (1), Ruiz-Alvarez L (1,2), Sanchez-Del-Rio M (3), Aguilar J (4), Strange BA (5,6), Foffani G (7,8), Oliviero A (1).
(1) FENNSI Group, Hospital Nacional de Parapléjicos, SESCAM, Toledo, Spain.
(2) Neurology Service, Hospital del Henares. Coslada, Madrid, Spain.
(3) Neurology Department, Hospital Ruber Internacional, Madrid, Spain.
(4) Experimental Neurophysiology Group, Hospital Nacional de Parapléjicos, SESCAM, Toledo, Spain.
(5) Laboratory for Clinical Neuroscience, CTB, 16771 Universidad Politecnica de Madrid , Madrid, Spain.
(6) Department of Neuroimaging, Alzheimer's Disease Research Centre, Reina Sofia-CIEN Foundation, Madrid, Spain.
(7) HM CINAC, Hospital Universitario HM Puerta del Sur, Universidad CEU-San Pablo, Madrid, Spain.
(8) Neural Bioengineering Group, Hospital Nacional de Parapléjicos, SESCAM, Toledo, Spain.
Date: Jan 1, 2017Neurology [SP]
Transcranial static magnetic field stimulation (tSMS) reduces cortical excitability in humans.
The objective of this study was to determine whether tSMS over the occipital cortex is effective in reducing experimental photophobia. In a sham-controlled double-blind crossover study, tSMS (or sham) was applied for 10 minutes with a cylindrical magnet on the occiput of 20 healthy subjects.
We assessed subjective discomfort induced by low-intensity and high-intensity visual stimuli presented in a dark room before, during and after tSMS (or sham).
Compared to sham, tSMS significantly reduced the discomfort induced by high-intensity light stimuli.
The visual cortex may contribute to visual discomfort in experimental photophobia, providing a rationale for investigating tSMS as a possible treatment for photophobia in migraine.
CITATION Cephalalgia. 2017 Jan 1:333102417736899. doi: 10.1177/0333102417736899
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.