The use of amino acid PET and conventional MRI for monitoring of brain tumor therapy
Galldiks N (1), Law I (2), Pope WB (3), Arbizu J (4), Langen KJ (5).
(1) Dept. of Neurology, University of Cologne, Cologne, Germany; Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, Germany; Center of Integrated Oncology (CIO), Universities of Cologne and Bonn, Cologne, Germany.
(2) Dept.of Clinical Physiology, Nuclear Medicine and PET, Rigshospitalet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark.
(3) Dept. of Radiological Sciences, David Geffen School of Medicine, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, United States.
(4) Dept. of Nuclear Medicine, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Institute of Neuroscience and Medicine, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Jülich, Germany; Dept. of Nuclear Medicine, University of Aachen, Aachen, Germany.
Magazine: Neuroimage. Clinical
Date: Dec 18, 2016Nuclear Medicine [SP]
Routine diagnostics and treatment monitoring of brain tumors is usually based on contrast-enhanced MRI. However, the capacity of conventional MRI to differentiate tumor tissue from posttherapeutic effects following neurosurgical resection, chemoradiation, alkylating chemotherapy, radiosurgery, and/or immunotherapy may be limited.
Metabolic imaging using PET can provide relevant additional information on tumor metabolism, which allows for more accurate diagnostics especially in clinically equivocal situations.
This review article focuses predominantly on the amino acid PET tracers 11C-methyl-l-methionine (MET), O-(2-[18F]fluoroethyl)-l-tyrosine (FET) and 3,4-dihydroxy-6-[18F]-fluoro-l-phenylalanine (FDOPA) and summarizes investigations regarding monitoring of brain tumor therapy.
CITATION Neuroimage Clin. 2016 Dec 18;13:386-394. doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2016.12.020
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.