Safety in the Microbiology laboratory
Rojo-Molinero E (1), Alados JC (2), de la Pedrosa EG (3), Leiva J (4), Pérez JL (5).
(1) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital Universitario Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, España.
(2) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital de Jerez, Jerez de la Frontera, Cádiz, España.
(3) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital Universitario Ramón y Cajal, Madrid, España.
(4) Servicio de Microbiología, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Pamplona, España.
(5) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital Universitario Son Espases, Palma de Mallorca, España.
Magazine: Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica
Date: Jun 1, 2015Clinical Microbiology [SP]
The normal activity in the laboratory of microbiology poses different risks — mainly biological — that can affect the health of their workers, visitors and the community.
Routine health examinations (surveillance and prevention), individual awareness of self-protection, hazard identification and risk assessment of laboratory procedures, the adoption of appropriate containment measures, and the use of conscientious microbiological techniques allow laboratory to be a safe place, as records of laboratory-acquired infections and accidents show.
Training and information are the cornerstones for designing a comprehensive safety plan for the laboratory. In this article, the basic concepts and the theoretical background on laboratory safety are reviewed, including the main legal regulations. Moreover, practical guidelines are presented for each laboratory to design its own safety plan according its own particular characteristics.
CITATION Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2015 Jun-Jul;33(6):404-10. doi: 10.1016/j.eimc.2014.06.014. Epub 2014 Nov 8.
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.