Mechanical barriers and transforming growth factor beta inhibitor on epidural fibrosis in a rabbit laminectomy model
Albiñana-Cunningham JN (1,2,) Ripalda-Cemboráin P (1,) Labiano T (3), Echeveste JI (4), Granero-Moltó F (5,6), Alfonso-Olmos M (1).
(1) Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 36 Pio XII Avenue, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(2) Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Department, Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra, 3 Irunlarrea Street, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(3) Pathology Department, Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra, 3 Irunlarrea Street, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(4) Pathology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 36 Pío XII Avenue, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Orthopaedic Surgery and Traumatology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 36 Pio XII Avenue, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(6) Cell Therapy Area, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 36 Pío XII Avenue, 31008, Pamplona.
Magazine: Journal of Orthopaedic Surgical and Research
Date: Apr 5, 2018Pathological Anatomy [SP] Orthopedic Surgery and Traumatology [SP]
TGF-β has been described as a mediator of fibrosis and scarring. Several studies achieved reduction in experimental scarring through the inhibition of TGF-β.
Fibroblasts have been defined as the cell population originating fibrosis, blocking fibroblast invasion may impair epidural fibrosis appearance. For this purpose, biocompatible materials used as mechanical barriers and a TGF-β inhibitor peptide were evaluated in the reduction of epidural fibrosis.
A L6 laminectomy was performed in 40 New Zealand white rabbits. Divided into four groups, each rabbit was assigned to receive either collagen sponge scaffold (CS group), gelatin-based gel (GCP group), P144® (iTGFβ group), or left untreated (control group).
Four weeks after surgery, cell density, collagen content, and new bone formation of the scar area were determined by histomorphometry. Two experienced pathologists scored dura mater adhesion, scar density, and inflammatory infiltrate in a blinded manner.
In all groups, laminectomy site was filled with fibrous tissue and the dura mater presented adhesions. Only GCP group presented a significant reduction in collagen content and scar density.
GCP treatment reduces epidural fibrosis although did not prevent dura mater adhesion completely.
CITATION J Orthop Surg Res. 2018 Apr 5;13(1):72. doi: 10.1186/s13018-018-0781-6
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.