Is there a role for HIPEC in ovarian cancer?
Harter P (1), du Bois A (2), Sehouli J (3), Mahner S (4), Vergote I (5), Chiva L (6), Gonzalez-Martin A (7), Fotopoulou C (3,8).
(1) Department of Gynecology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen and Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynaekologische Onkologie (AGO) Study Group, Essen, Germany.
(2) Department of Gynecology, Kliniken Essen Mitte, Essen and Arbeitsgemeinschaft Gynaekologische Onkologie (AGO) Study Group, Essen, Germany.
(3) Department of Gynecology, Charité Medical University of Berlin, Germany and North-Eastern German Society of Gynaecologic Oncology (NOGGO) Ovarian Cancer Study Group and AGO Study Group, Berlin, Germany.
(4) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, University Hospital, Ludwig-Maximilians-University Munich and AGO Study Group, Munich, Germany.
(5) University Hospitals Leuven and BGOG, Leuven, Belgium.
(6) Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra and GEICO Study Group, Madrid, Spain.
(7) Department of Medical Oncology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra and GEICO Study Group, Madrid, Spain.
(8) Department of Surgery and Cancer, Gynecologic Oncology, Hammersmith Hospital, Imperial College, London, UK.
Magazine: Archives of Gynecologic and Obstetrics
Date: Sep 20, 2018Medical Oncology Gynaecology and Obstetrics [SP]
Hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy (HIPEC) is promoted by some as a standard treatment for peritoneal carcinomatosis of epithelial ovarian cancer (EOC) and other tumor entities, despite lack of robust data supporting this.
Publicly available evidence addressing the value of HIPEC in EOC is rather inconclusive, revealing contradictory and inconsistent results while some studies even report harm to the patients from a higher morbidity.
On this ground, we cannot recommend the implementation and use of HIPEC outside of a randomized clinical trial setting.
CITATION Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2018 Sep 20. doi: 10.1007/s00404-018-4908-0.
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.