Is the ISAC 112 Microarray Useful in the Diagnosis of Pollinosis in Spain?
García BE (1,2), Martínez-Aranguren R (2,3), Bernard Alonso A (3), Gamboa P (4), Feo Brito F (5), Bartra J (6), Blanca-López N (7), Gómez F (8), Alvarado MI (9), Fernández J (10), Alonso MD (11), Gonzalez-Mancebo E (12), Moya C (13), Parra A (14), Terrados S (15), Sola L (1), Goikoetxea MJ (2,3), Sanz ML (2,3).
(1) Allergology Service, Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(2) IdiSNA, Navarra Institute for Health Research, Spain.
(3) Allergology and Clinical Immunology Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(4) Allergology Service, Hospital de Basurto, Bilbao, Spain.
(5) Allergology Service, Hospital General Universitario de Ciudad Real, Ciudad Real, Spain.
(6) Unitat d'Alèrgia Servei Pneumologia i Alèrgia Respiratoria Universitat de Barcelona, Institut d'Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS), Centro de Investigaciones Biomédicas en Red de Enfermedades Respiratorias (CIBERES), Barcelona, Spain.
(7) Allergology Service, Hospital Infanta Leonor, Madrid, Spain.
(8) Allergology Service, IBIMA, Hospital Regional Universitario de Malaga, UMA, Malaga, Spain.
(9) Allergology Service, Hospital Virgen del Puerto, Plasencia, Cáceres, Spain.
(10) Allergology Service, Hospital General Universitario de Alicante, Alicante, Spain.
(11) Allergology Service, Hospital de Alcorcón, Alcorcón, Spain.
(12) Allergology Service, Hospital de Fuenlabrada, Madrid, Spain.
(13) Allergology Service, Complejo Hospitalario Torrecárdenas, Almería, Spain.
(14) Allergology Service, Hospital de A Coruña, A Coruña, Spain.
(15) Allergology Service, Hospital Universitario Ramon y Cajal, IRYCIS, Madrid, Spain.
Magazine: Journal of Investigational Allergology & Clinical Immunology
Date: Apr 1, 2016Allergology and Immunology Department
Multiple sensitization is frequent among pollen-allergic patients. The goal of this study was to determine the diagnostic accuracy of the ImmunoCAP ISAC 112 (ISAC112) microarray in allergy to pollen from several taxa and its clinical utility in a Spanish population.
Specific IgE was determined in 390 pollen-allergic patients using the ISAC112 microarray. Diagnostic accuracy (sensitivity, specificity, predictive values, and area under the ROC curve) was calculated for the diagnosis of allergy to pollen from grass (n=49), cypress (n=75), olive tree (n=33), plane tree (n=63), and pellitory of the wall (n=17) and compared with that of the singleplex ImmunoCAP immunoassay.
The sensitivity of the ISAC112 microarray ranged from 68.2% for allergy to plane tree pollen to 93.9% for allergy to grass pollen. The specificity was >90%. The AUC for the diagnosis of allergy to plane tree pollen was 0.798, whereas the AUC for the remaining cases was ≥0.876. The accuracy of ISAC112 was higher than that of ImmunoCAP for plane tree pollen and similar for the remaining pollens.
The frequency of sensitization to most species-specific allergenic components and profilins varied between the different geographical regions studied. A total of 73% of pollen-allergic patients were sensitized to species-specific components of more than 1 pollen type.
The ISAC112 microarray is an accurate tool for the diagnosis of allergy to pollen from grass, cypress, olive tree, plane tree, and pellitory of the wall. The features of the ISAC112 microarray are similar or superior (in the case of plane tree pollen) to those of ImmunoCAP. This microarray is particularly useful for the etiologic diagnosis of pollinosis in patients sensitized to multiple pollen species whose pollination periods overlap.
CITATION J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol. 2016;26(2):92-9. doi: 10.18176/jiaci.0052
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.