Executive summary of the diagnosis and treatment of urinary tract infection: Guidelines of the Spanish Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (SEIMC)
de Cueto M (1), Aliaga L (2), Alós JI (3), Canut A (4), Los-Arcos I (5), Martínez JA (6), Mensa J (6), Pintado V (7), Rodriguez-Pardo D (5), Yuste JR (8), Pigrau C (9).
(1) Unidad Clinica Intercentros de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Microbiología y Medicina Preventiva, Hospitales Universitarios Virgen Macarena y Virgen del Rocio, Sevilla, Spain.
(2) Unidad de Gestión Clínica de Medicina Interna, Hospital Universitario Unificado de Granada, Granada, Spain.
(3) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital Universitario de Getafe, Getafe, Spain.
(4) Servicio de Microbiología, Hospital Universitario de Álava, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain.
(5) Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.
(6) Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.
(7) Área de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(8) Área de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(9) Servicio de Enfermedades Infecciosas, Hospital Universitario Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.
Magazine: Enfermedades Infecciosas y Microbiología Clínica
Date: Dec 22, 2016Internal Medicine [SP] Infectious Diseases [SP]
Most urinary tract infections (UTI) are uncomplicated infections occurring in young women. An extensive evaluation is not required in the majority of cases, and they can be safely managed as outpatients with oral antibiotics.
scherichia coli is by far the most common uropathogen, accounting for >80% of all cases. Other major clinical problems associated with UTI include asymptomatic bacteriuria, and patients with complicated UTI.
Complicated UTIs are a heterogeneous group associated with conditions that increase the risk of acquiring infection or treatment failure. Distinguishing between complicated and uncomplicated UTI is important, as it influences the initial evaluation, choice, and duration of antimicrobial therapy.
Diagnosis is especially challenging in the elderly and in patients with in-dwelling catheters. The increasing prevalence of resistant uropathogens, including extended-spectrum β-lactamases and carbapenemase-producing Enterobacteriaceae, and other multidrug-resistant Gram-negative organisms further compromises treatment of both complicated and uncomplicated UTIs.
The aim of these Clinical Guidelines is to provide a set of recommendations for improving the diagnosis and treatment of UTI.
CITATION Enferm Infecc Microbiol Clin. 2016 Dec 22. pii: S0213-005X(16)30351-2. doi: 10.1016/j.eimc.2016.11.005
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.