Comparison of correlations of equation-derived body fat percentage and body mass index with carotid intima-media thickness
Landecho MF (1,2), Colina I (1,2), Sunsundegui P (1), Camarero B (3), Núñez-Córdoba JM (4,5), Beloqui Ó (1,2).
(1) General Health Check-up Unit, Internal Medicine Department, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Avenida Pío XII, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
(2) IdiSNA, Navarra Institute for Health Research, Pamplona, Spain.
(3) General Surgery and Digestive System Service, Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(4) IdiSNA, Navarra Institute for Health Research, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Research Support Service, Central Clinical Trials Unit, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Avenida Pío XII, 36, 31008, Pamplona, Spain.
Magazine: Acta Diabetológica
Date: Nov 23, 2018Unidad de Chequeos [SP]
Obesity is a critical cardiovascular disease (CVD) contributing risk factor. A proper overweight and obesity screening may help clinicians to better characterize patients’ CVD risk to counsel patients on health risks, lifestyle changes, treatment options, and decreasing the effect of the risk factor.
Body mass index (BMI) is an affordable anthropometric measure that can be used to define obesity in epidemiological research but may not represent a reliable indicator of body adiposity at an individual level.
Dual energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) and air displacement plethysmography (ADP) are accepted methods to obtain accurate measures of body fat percentage (BF%), although these techniques are less available and more expensive than BMI, which may be an important limitation for screening purposes.
CUN-BAE (Clínica Universidad de Navarra-Body Adiposity Estimator) is an equation for estimating BF% affordably that has shown better association with several cardiometabolic risk...
CITATION Acta Diabetol. 2018 Nov 23. doi: 10.1007/s00592-018-1255-3
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.