Classification of Vestibular Signs and Examination Techniques: Nystagmus and Nystagmus-like Movements
Eggers SDZ (1), Bisdorff A (2), von Brevern M (3), Zee DS (4), Kim JS (5), Perez-Fernandez N (6), Welgampola MS (7), Della Santina CC (8), Newman-Toker DE (4,8).
(1) Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, USA.
(2) Department of Neurology, Centre Hospitalier Emile Mayrisch, Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg.
(3) Private Practice of Neurology and Department of Neurology, Charité, Berlin, Germany.
(4) Department of Neurology, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA.
(5) Department of Neurology, Seoul National University College of Medicine, Seoul National University Bundang Hospital, Seoul, Korea.
(6) Department of Otorhinolaryngology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Madrid, Spain.
(7) Institute of Clinical Neurosciences, Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Central Clinical School, University of Sydney, Sydney, Australia.
(8) Department of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, USA.
Magazine: Journal of Vestibular Research
Date: Jun 14, 2019Otorhinolaryngology Department [SP]
This paper presents a classification and definitions for types of nystagmus and other oscillatory eye movements relevant to evaluation of patients with vestibular and neurological disorders, formulated by the Classification Committee of the Bárány Society, to facilitate identification and communication for research and clinical care. Terminology surrounding the numerous attributes and influencing factors necessary to characterize nystagmus are outlined and defined. The classification first organizes the complex nomenclature of nystagmus around phenomenology, while also considering knowledge of anatomy, pathophysiology, and etiology. Nystagmus is distinguished from various other nystagmus-like movements including saccadic intrusions and oscillations.
CITATION J Vestib Res. 2019 Jun 14. doi: 10.3233/VES-190658.
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.