Burkitt-like lymphoma with 11q aberration: A germinal center derived lymphoma genetically unrelated to Burkitt lymphoma
Gonzalez-Farre B (1), Ramis-Zaldivar JE (2), Salmeron-Villalobos J (2), Balagué O (1), Celis V (3), Verdu-Amoros J (4), Nadeu F (2), Sábado C (5), Ferrández A (6), Garrido M (7), García-Bragado F (8), de la Maya MD (9), Vagace JM (9), Panizo CM (10), Astigarraga I (11), Andrés M (12), Jaffe ES (13), Campo E (14), Salaverria I (15).
(1) Hematopathology Unit, Hospital Clínic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
(2) Institut Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS), Barcelona, Spain.
(3) Pediatric Oncology Department, Hospital Sant Joan de Déu, Esplugues de Llobregat, Spain.
(4) Pediatric Oncology Department, Hospital Clínico Universitario de Valencia, Valencia, Spain.
(5) Pediatric Oncology Department, Hospital Universitari Vall Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.
(6) Pathology Department, Hospital Clínico de Valencia, Valencia, Spain.
(7) Pathology Department, Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.
(8) Pathology Department, Complejo Hospitalario de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(9) Pediatric Hematology Department, Hospital Materno Infantil de Badajoz, Badajoz, Spain.
(10) Department of Hematology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(11) Pediatrics Department, Hospital Universitario Cruces, Barakaldo, Spain.
(12) Pediatric Oncology Department, Hospital La Fe, Valencia, Spain.
(13) Hematopathology Section, Laboratory of Pathology, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda, MD.
(14) Hematopathology Unit, Hospital Clinic de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain.
(15) Institut Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS), Barcelona, Spain
Date: Feb 7, 2019Hematología y Hemoterapia [SP]
Burkitt-like lymphoma with 11q aberration is characterized by pathological features and gene expression profile resembling Burkitt lymphoma but lack MYC rearrangement and carries an 11q-arm aberration with proximal gains and telomeric losses.
Whether these lymphomas are a distinct category or a particular variant of other recognized entities is controversial. To improve the understanding of Burkitt-like lymphoma with 11q aberration we have performed an analysis of copy number alterations and targeted sequencing of a large panel of B-cell lymphoma related genes in 11 cases.
Most patients had localized nodal disease and a favourable outcome after therapy. Histologically, they were high grade B-cell lymphoma, not otherwise specified (8 cases), diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (2 cases) and only one was considered as atypical Burkitt lymphoma.
All cases had a germinal center B-cell signature and phenotype with frequent LMO2 expression. Burkitt-like lymphoma with 11q aberration had frequent gains of 12q12-q21.1 and losses of 6q12.1-q21, and lacked common Burkitt lymphoma or diffuse large B-cell lymphoma alterations. Potential driver mutations were found in 27 genes, particularly involving BTG2, DDX3X, ETS1, EP300, and GNA13. However, ID3, TCF3, or CCND3 mutations were absent in all cases.
These results suggest that Burkitt-like lymphoma with 11q aberration is a germinal center derived lymphoma closer to high grade B-cell lymphoma or diffuse large B-cell lymphoma rather than Burkitt lymphoma.
CITATION Haematologica. 2019 Feb 7. pii: haematol.2018.207928. doi: 10.3324/haematol.2018.207928
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.