Specialised in smoking and diseases caused by tobacco, the department has more than 10 years´ experience in helping patients to give up smoking and the early detection of lung cancer.
The department´s specialists have received training from the world´s leading centres, including hospitals in the United States, and have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of all respiratory diseases, from the most common to the very rare.
The nursing team administers the necessary care procedures, carrying out follow-up evaluations of the patient´s progress and attend to all their requirements, offering them the highest quality of care possible.
The Pneumology specialists are part of the Clínica´s Sleep Unit and work alongside specialists from Otorhinolaryngology, Neurophysiology and Maxillofacial Surgery, as well as the Lung Cancer Department, and specialists from Oncology, Radiology, Nuclear Medicine and Thoracic Surgery.
On top of leading clinical care, research and teaching are also two key factors of the Pneumology Department. As a result of our various research projects, the Clínica Universidad de Navarra is leading in the early detection of lung cancer, the use of endobronchial valves for treating severe emphysema and in the innovative treatments for the most serious diseases.
The Pneumology Department treats the following pathologies:
- Obstructive sleep apnoea (OSA)
- Lung cancer
- Pleural effusion
- Congenital diseases
- COPD and pulmonary emphysema
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis and other interstitial lung diseases
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Respiratory insufficiency
- Pulmonary nodule
- Pulmonary Sarcoidosis and other inflammatory lung diseases
- Chronic cough
- Pulmonary thromboembolism
At the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, we have the most innovative diagnostic techniques to detect any pneumological problems that a patient could suffer from:
- Pulmonary biopsy: using electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (to collect peripheral pulmonary nodule biopsies which cannot be reached by a flexible bronchoscopy)
- Flexible bronchoscopy
- Pulmonary cryobiopsy: for obtaining pulmonary biopsies for diagnosing interstitial or diffuse and diseases, like pulmonary fibrosis, for example.
- Ecobronchoscopy: collecting tissue samples from nearby structures to the bronchial tree, these are generally lymph nodes
- Bronchoalveolar lavage
- Cardiopulmonary stress test
- Respiratory function tests
- CT scan for the early detection of lung cancer
- Physical fitness evaluation: useful for both elite sports men and women, and those are practising sport for the first time
The Pneumology Department is pioneering in carrying out techniques such as pleural tunnelled catheters which are used as an outpatient treatment for malignant pleural effusion
Along with this, we are one of the two Spanish centres to have participated in a European clinical trial. We are amongst the most experienced centres in Spain for interventional bronchoscopy.
Likewise, we are experts in the implantation of endobronchial valves for controlling severe emphysema.
La Clínica Universidad de Navarra cuenta con un Programa de Deshabituación Tabáquica
El 70% de los fumadores desean dejar de fumar definitivamente, pero la mayoría no están preparados. Se necesita una gran motivación personal y de las personas de su alrededor. En la mayoría de los casos requiere varios intentos para dejar de fumar. Haber dejado de fumar previamente, aumenta las probabilidades de conseguirlo definitivamente.
Participar en un Programa de Deshabituación Tabáquica aumenta sustancialmente la posibilidad de éxito. Se cuenta con el apoyo y seguimiento de médicos neumólogos y enfermeras especializadas, así como la posibilidad de complementarlo con fármacos muy efectivos.
Ofrecemos un abordaje personalizado y un seguimiento que aumenta las posibilidades de éxito.
Respiratory Medicine Oct 13, 201