"Tobacco is directly related to diseases such as COPD, heart disease and lung cancer".
DR. ANA BELÉN ALCAIDE OCAÑA SPECIALIST. PNEUMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Although 70% of smokers want to quit for good, most are not ready. They do, however, express the intention to try to quit in the medium or long term.
There are currently very effective drugs to help smokers quit. The treatments must be personalized for each smoker depending mainly on motivation and the degree of physical and psychological addiction.
In the Clinic there is a Tobacco Smoking Cessation Program, which seeks to facilitate smokers to quit successfully, through medical follow-up and continued professional support.
Information is also provided on the risks of smoking, and the degrees of addiction and motivation are studied.
The Clinic has the only cardiovascular screening that incorporates the latest diagnostic imaging technology to accurately quantify your cardiovascular risk
Thanks to the exclusive dedication of our professionals, they allow us to perform the ICAP Checkup in less than 48 hours with a high precision diagnosis.
Do you need us to help you?
Smoking Cessation Program
Each smoker is different, their motivations and degree of addiction are different, as well as their health status and risks, so the program is personalized and adapted to the needs of the patient.
The Program consists of:
- Consultation with a pulmonologist, in which an initial assessment will be made, and a study of your medical history, family history and state of health will be carried out.
- Spirometry, to examine the volumes of air that are capable of mobilizing your lungs.
- A nursing session, which consists of: questionnaires on the degree of physical dependence on nicotine, assessment of motivation to stop smoking, and the preparation phase to stop smoking.
- Diagnosis of the degree of physical dependence on tobacco, through the calculation of packs/year and a coximetry (measurement of carbon monoxide in exhaled air).
- Personalized follow-up: during the period of one year, a follow-up will be carried out (generally by telephone), with the objective of supporting and guiding the patient in the different stages of disinhabitation, evaluating their evolution, possible relapses, etc.
In addition to the program, and depending on the situation and state of health of the smoker, the doctor may recommend a pharmacological treatment to reduce the withdrawal syndrome. There are currently very effective drugs to help smokers stop smoking, which triple the chances of success.
The Clinic's Tobacco Free Program (only in spanish)
Do you want to stop smoking?
We can help you
How to stop smoking?
Depending on the individual's attitude to the uninhabitability, categories of preparation with different treatments are established.
The consultation includes a basic respiratory assessment by a specialist in pneumology.
In most of the smokers it is effective to administer a medical treatment.
There are 3 different treatments that have proven to be effective:
- Substitutive treatment with nicotine in the form of patches or chewing gum. Nicotine is administered to make the body accustomed to gradually decreasing doses.
- Bupropion (Zyntabac®): antidepressant medication that has been shown to be effective in smoking cessation.
- Varenicline (Champix®): a drug that blocks the effects of nicotine on the central nervous system by significantly reducing the desire to smoke.
The drug treatment is administered for 12 weeks, although in certain cases it can be prolonged for longer.
Where do we do it?
IN NAVARRA AND MADRID
OUR MEDICAL TEAM
Specialists of the Pneumology Department
Specializing in smoking and tobacco-related diseases, the Department has over 15 years of experience in smoking cessation and lung cancer early detection programs.
The department's specialists have received training at leading centers around the world, including centers in the United States, and have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of all respiratory diseases, both common and rare.
Diseases we treat
Why at the Clínica?
- Leading clinical assistance with great work in research and teaching.
- Specialized nursing team.
- We work together with the Sleep Unit and the Lung Cancer Area.
Our team of professionals
A new approach to cardiovascular risk
The only checkup that incorporates the latest diagnostic imaging technology to accurately quantify your risk of stroke and myocardial infarction.
Thanks to the exclusive dedication of our professionals, we are able to perform the ICAP checkup in less than 48 hours with a highly accurate diagnosis.
Safer than ever to continue taking care of you
We update safety protocols weekly with the latest scientific evidence and the knowledge of the best international centers with which we collaborate.