Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Valencia (1980).
He was awarded his doctorate in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra (1992) with Cum Laude graduation honours and a Prize for his Doctoral Thesis.
He is a Cardiology Specialist at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra. He completed his training with some residencies abroad (Toulouse Dr. Jean Marco 1986 and Washington D.C. Dr. Augusto Pichard 1996-97).
Furthermore, he subspecialised in Interventional Cardiology (1998) and was accredited by the Haemodynamic Section of the Spanish Society of Cardiology in the same year.
His Research Area is focussed on the study and detection of coronary vulnerable plaque markers using imaging techniques.
His research also includes the evaluation of regression of the hypertrophy and fibrosis in the Left Ventricle using markers, renal denervation and the treatment of refractory arterial hypertension.
AREAS OF INTEREST
His areas of interest have focused on the treatment of coronary lesions, their evaluation using functional assessment techniques, such as FFR using pressure guidewire, and imaging techniques such as OCT (optical coherence tomography) and Intracoronary Ultrasound (HV or virtual histology and IVUS). His treatment with 2nd and 3rd generation stents, as well as with resorbable stents, and by means of rotational atherectomy techniques (rotablator).
He was one of the first cardiologists to start using coronary stents in Spain and the first to use optical coherence tomography (OCT) for the study of vulnerable coronary plaque. He currently performs all treatments for ischaemic heart disease.
For years he has been performing all the treatments of Structural Cardiology such as closure of Patent Foramen Ovale (PFO) with scopy and without the need for ultrasound, closure of Atrial Septal Defects (ASD), closure of left atrial appendage, closure of patent ductus arteriosus, pulmonary valvuloplasty and implantation of percutaneous aortic prosthesis.
He is currently the first Interventional Cardiologist in Spain to perform renal denervation with a tetrapolar catheter.
As an educator
- Associate professor of Cardiology since 1992, and assistant professor since 2001.
As a researcher
Author of 60 articles in international and national specialised scientific magazines
- One of the first cardiologists who started using coronary stents in Spain.
- The first to use optical coherence tomography (OCT) for the study of vulnerable coronary plaque.
- The first interventional cardiologist in Spain to perform renal denervation with a tetrapolar catheter.
- The first cardiologist in Spain to use techniques to evaluate the function of coronary microcirculation (FFR and IMR) for the diagnosis of patients with angina pectoris and normal coronary arteries.
- It belongs to the Spanish Society of Cardiology.
- It belongs to the European Society of Cardiology.
- He belongs to the Section of Hemodynamics and Interventional Cardiology.
Latest scientific publications
- Outcomes and predictors of success and complications for paravalvular leak closure: an analysis of the SpanisH real-wOrld paravalvular LEaks closure (HOLE) registry Mar 20, 2017 | Magazine: EuroIntervention
- Successful endoscopic closure of multiple tracheoesophageal fistulas following implantation of two atrial septal defect occluders Nov 16, 2016 | Magazine: Endoscopy