meet Dr. Ignacio Gil Bazo
Medical Oncology Specialist
Codirector of the Lung Cancer Area
Area of Expertise: Study and treatment of lung and prostate cancer
training andProfessional Career
Graduated (1999) and was awarded his doctorate (2004) in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra Faculty of Medicine. He is a Medical Oncology Specialist at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra (2004). He completed his training as a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center in New York, in the Cancer Biology and Genetics Program.
He received a Medical Oncology Certificate in 2012 from the European Society for Medical Oncology (ESMO).
He works as a specialist in the Oncology Department at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Codirector of the Lung Cancer Area.
From 2015 he is Director in the Medical Oncology Department.
- Director of laboratory for New Therapeutic Targets at CIMA, with special interest in lung cancer, drug resistance mechanisms and metastasis mechanisms.
- Clinical Investigator – he has participated in more than 15 clinical trials as lead investigator mainly for lung and prostate cancer, and more than 20 trials as co-investigator.
- Member of editorial board for World Journal of Gastroenterology magazine until 2010, reviewer of Cancer Research, Tumor Biology, Clinical Genitourinary Cancer, Chemotherapy magazines.
- Study and treatment of lung cancer with special interest in new biological specific target therapies and clinical trials for lung cancer.
- Study of biological mechanisms for drug resistance in lung cancer.
- Study of biological mechanisms that aid metastases in lung cancer.
- Study and treatment of prostate cancer with special interest in clinical trials for new drugs.
As an educator
Associate Professor University of Navarra Faculty of Medicine
Director of various Doctoral Theses and Masters projects in Oncology
He has led conferences in the University of Zurich in Switzerland, the Free University of Brussels in Belgium, the Memorial Sloan-Ketering Cancer Center in New York, USA, in the University of San Pablo CEU in Madrid, in the Autonomous University of Madrid, the Autonomous University of Barcelona, the National Centre for Oncological Research (CNIO) in Madrid, amongst others.
As a researcher
He has had more than 50 articles published in, mainly international, scientific magazines, including New England Journal of Medicine, Lancet Oncology, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Oncogene, British Journal of Cancer etc.
He has made more than 40 scientific presentations at international oncological conferences
Co-author of a Cellular Biology book and various book chapters on Oncology
Member of the Research Commission of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Latest scientific publications
- Inhibitor of differentiation-1 (Id1) sustains mutant KRAS-driven progression, maintenance, and metastasis of lung adenocarcinoma via regulation of a FOSL1 network
- KRAS oncogene in non-small cell lung cancer: clinical perspectives on the treatment of an old target
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the spanish private hospital with the greatest technological equipment in one single center.
If you live outside of Spain and you wish to receive care at the Clínica, learn about our services for international patients.
Why we are different from other healthcare centers.
Quality, speed, comfort and results.