"For this treatment to be effective, it is very important to perform the technique very well. That's why at the Clinica, our nurses teach and help the patient know how to perform it correctly".
DR. ARANTZA CAMPO EZQUIBELA SPECIALIST. PNEUMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
What is aerosol therapy?
Aerosol therapy or the use of inhalers is a treatment whose goal is to achieve maximum therapeutic effectiveness in the airway with minimal systemic adverse effects.
The medication contains particles that weigh very little. This allows them to be easily transported through the air, reaching the alveoli and being much more effective.
The drugs that can be administered by inhaled route are several: antifungal antibiotics, antivirals, bronchodilators, antioxidants, corticoids, etc.
For the treatment to be effective, it is important to know the characteristics of this treatment.
Do you need our help?
Contact with us
When is aerosol therapy indicated?
The advantages of aerosol therapy are
- Rapid initiation of therapeutic action.
- Need for lower doses with local action, which avoids adverse effects.
- Use of more selective drugs in some respiratory pathologies.
Do you have any of these diseases?
It may be necessary to start treatment with inhalers
How are inhalers used?
There are two types of inhalers: pressurized and dry powder.
- Pressurized Inhalers: They have a reduced size, allowing their transport and disposal at any time and place.
The dose of drug administered in each application is known, the sterility of the drug is maintained and its cleaning is very simple. Inconvenient, that must be very well coordinated the inspiration and the shot for an effective administration.
For those people, or in children, who are unable to coordinate the inhaler pulse with inspiration, there are spacers and chambers that facilitate its administration.
- Dry powder: Dry powder inhalers (Turbuhaler® and Accuhaler®), unlike pressurized aerosols, do not require synchronization of inspiration with dose release, since the inspiration itself activates the tank.
The following steps must be taken:
- Open the inhaler and shake it vigorously.
- hale slowly, without placing the device in your mouth, and expel all the air from your lungs.
- Place the inhaler in your mouth, closing your lips tightly around the mouthpiece.
- Breathe in slowly, squeeze the inhaler and continue to breathe in.
- Hold your breath for 8 or 10 seconds, with your nose covered.
- Exhale and rinse your mouth with warm water and bicarbonate.
Do not stop the medication without consulting your doctor.
It is important that you follow the dosage and frequency of administration indicated by your doctor. Over- or under-administration of medication may result in ineffective treatment.
In case of forgetfulness, take the dose as soon as you remember. If it is already time for the next dose, give the correct one. You should not double the dose.
If you have been prescribed two puffs of your inhaler, you must wait at least 30 seconds before taking the second puff. If you are dealing with two different inhalers, you should wait 5 to 10 minutes between them.
If you are taking a corticosteroid and a bronchodilator at the same time, use the bronchodilator first.
After inhalations, rinse and gargle with warm bicarbonated water.
Clean the pressurizer at least once a week. To do this, separate the cartridge from the outer casing and clean the outer casing with soapy water, rinse and dry.
Clean the chamber once a week. To do this, you must disassemble it (if it is removable) and clean all parts with slightly soapy water. Then rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water. Air dry.
The face mask that is used in the case of children must be cleaned after each use. On detachable systems, remove the mask from the mouthpiece and flush with water. some manufacturers indicate that it can be boiled.
You should keep the inhalers closed and in a dry place.
Where do we do it?
IN NAVARRE AND MADRID
The Department of Pneumology
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
Specializing in smoking and tobacco-related diseases, the Department has over 15 years of experience in smoking cessation and lung cancer early detection programs.
The department's specialists have received training at leading centers around the world, including centers in the United States, and have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of all respiratory diseases, both common and rare.
Diseases we treat
Why at the Clínica?
- Leading clinical assistance with great work in research and teaching.
- Specialized nursing team.
- We work together with the Sleep Unit and the Lung Cancer Area.