"For this treatment to be effective, it is very important to perform the technique very well. That's why at the Clinica, our nurses teach and help the patient know how to perform it correctly".
DR. ARANTZA CAMPO EZQUIBELA PERSON IN CHARGE. PNEUMOLOGY DEPARTMENT
Aerosol therapy or the use of inhalers is a treatment whose goal is to achieve maximum therapeutic effectiveness in the airway with minimal systemic adverse effects.
The medication contains particles that weigh very little. This allows them to be easily transported through the air, reaching the alveoli and being much more effective.
The drugs that can be administered by inhaled route are several: antifungal antibiotics, antivirals, bronchodilators, antioxidants, corticoids, etc.
For the treatment to be effective, it is important to know the characteristics of this treatment.
Do you need us to help you?
When is aerosol therapy indicated?
The advantages of aerosol therapy are
- Rapid initiation of therapeutic action.
- Need for lower doses with local action, which avoids adverse effects.
- Use of more selective drugs in some respiratory pathologies.
Most common indications for this treatment:
- Respiratory pathologies such as COPD.
- Bronchial asthma.
- Pulmonary or cystic fibrosis.
- Oncological processes.
- Upper respiratory tract or pulmonary infections, by virus, bacteria or fungi, etc.
Do you have any of these diseases?
It may be necessary to start treatment with inhalers
How are inhalers used?
The following steps must be taken:
- Open the inhaler and shake it vigorously.
- hale slowly, without placing the device in your mouth, and expel all the air from your lungs.
- Place the inhaler in your mouth, closing your lips tightly around the mouthpiece.
- Breathe in slowly, squeeze the inhaler and continue to breathe in.
- Hold your breath for 8 or 10 seconds, with your nose covered.
- Exhale and rinse your mouth with warm water and bicarbonate.
There are two types of inhalers: pressurized and dry powder.
- Pressurized Inhalers: They have a reduced size, allowing their transport and disposal at any time and place.
The dose of drug administered in each application is known, the sterility of the drug is maintained and its cleaning is very simple. Inconvenient, that must be very well coordinated the inspiration and the shot for an effective administration.
For those people, or in children, who are unable to coordinate the inhaler pulse with inspiration, there are spacers and chambers that facilitate its administration.
- Dry powder: Dry powder inhalers (Turbuhaler® and Accuhaler®), unlike pressurized aerosols, do not require synchronization of inspiration with dose release, since the inspiration itself activates the tank.
Where do we do it?
IN NAVARRE AND MADRID
The Department of Pneumology
of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
Specializing in smoking and tobacco-related diseases, the Department has over 15 years of experience in smoking cessation and lung cancer early detection programs.
The department's specialists have received training at leading centers around the world, including centers in the United States, and have extensive experience in the diagnosis and treatment of all respiratory diseases, both common and rare.
Diseases we treat
Why at the Clínica?
- Leading clinical assistance with great work in research and teaching.
- Specialized nursing team.
- We work together with the Sleep Unit and the Lung Cancer Area.
Our team of professionals
Safer than ever to continue taking care of you
We update safety protocols weekly with the latest scientific evidence and the knowledge of the best international centers with which we collaborate.