Transcultural comparison of psychogenic movement disorders
Esther Cubo (1, 2), Vanessa K. Hinson (1), Christopher G. Goetz (1), Pedro García Ruiz (3), Justo García de Yébenes (3), María José Martí (4), María Cruz Rodríguez Oroz (5), Gurutz Linazasoro (6), José Chacón (7), Antonio Vázquez (8), Javier López del Val (9), Sue Leurgans (1), Joanne Wuu (1)
(1) Sanatorio del Rosario, Clínica de la Zarzuela, Neurology Department, Madrid, Spain
(2) Rush University Medical Center, Neurology Department, Chicago, Illinois, USA
(3) Fundación Jiménez Díaz, Neurology Department, Madrid, Spain
(4) Hospital Clinic i Universitari, Neurology Department, Barcelona, Spain
(5) Clínica Universitaria, Neurology Department, Pamplona, Spain
(6) Clínica Quirón, Neurology Department, San Sebastián, Spain
(7) Hospital Virgen de la Macarena, Neurology Department, Sevilla, Spain
(8) Hospital Universitario San Carlos, Neurology Department, Madrid, Spain
(9) Hospital Clínico Universitario Lozano Blesa, Neurology Department, Zaragoza, Spain
Data: 1/Out/2005Neurologia [ES]
Prompted by the lack of cross-cultural comparative data, and because a better understanding in the different clinical presentations of psychogenic movement disorders (PMDs) is relevant to neurological assessment and interventions, we compared the phenomenology, anatomical distribution, and functional impairment of PMDs in the United States and Spain.
Consecutive patients diagnosed with PMD by a movement disorder specialist from one US site and from eight Spanish university centers were included in the study. The two groups were similar in their movement types, anatomical distribution, and functional impairment. PMDs were more prevalent in women than in men and were most common in upper and lower extremities. Gait and speech dysfunctions were distributed similarly in both countries.
We found action tremor to be the most frequent PMD in both countries.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Mov Disord. 2005 Oct;20(10):1343-5
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.