Influence of morbid obesity and insulin resistance on gene expression levels of AQP7 in visceral adipose tissue and AQP9 in liver
Victoria Catalán [ES] (1,6), Javier Gómez-Ambrosi [ES](1,6), Carlos Pastor (2), Fernando Rotellar (2,6), Camilo Silva [ES] (3,6), Amaia Rodríguez [ES] (1,6), María J. Gil [ES] (4,6), Javier A. Cienfuegos (2,6), Javier Salvador (5,6), Joan Vendrell (5,7) and Gema Frühbeck (1,3,6)
(1) Metabolic Research Laboratory, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(2) Department of Surgery, Clínica Universitaria de NavarraUniversity of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(3) Department of Endocrinology, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, University of Navarra, Avda. Pío XII, 36, 31008 Pamplona, Spain
(4) Department of Biochemistry, Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Spain
(5) Endocrinology and Research Unit, Hospital Universitari de Tarragona Joan XXIII, Rovira i Virgili University, Tarragona, Spain
(6) CIBER Fisiopatología de la Obesidad y Nutrición, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
(7) CIBER Diabetes y Enfermedades Metabólicas Asociadas, Instituto de Salud Carlos III, Madrid, Spain
Data: 1/Jun/2009Cirurgia Geral e Digestiva Bioquímica Clínica [ES] Endocrinologia e Nutrição [ES] Área de Obesidade
Glycerol production and its efflux from adipocytes to the liver are key to modulate lipid and glucose homeostasis. Aquaporin 7 (AQP7) is an aquaglyceroporin that acts as the adipose glycerol channel, whereas aquaporin 9 (AQP9) is the specific channel operating in the liver. The aim of the present work was to evaluate the effect of obesity and type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) on gene expression levels of AQP7 in visceral adipose tissue (VAT) and AQP9 in liver.
VAT and liver biopsies obtained from 20 women were used in the study. Patients were classified as lean or obese with the last group being further subclassified as normoglycemic (NG), patients with impaired glucose tolerance (IGT), or with T2DM. Anthropometric measurements as well as circulating metabolites, hormones, and adipokines were determined. Real-time polymerase chain reaction analyses were performed to quantify transcript levels of AQP7 in VAT and AQP9 in the liver.
Gene expression levels of AQP7 in VAT showed a tendency toward an increase (P = 0.065) in obese patients (both NG and T2DM) compared to lean subjects. AQP9 showed a significant downregulation in the hepatic biopsies obtained from obese T2DM patients compared to obese NG and IGT patients (P = 0.028).
The tendency toward an elevation of mRNA expression of VAT AQP7 in obesity together with the decreased hepatic AQP9 expression observed in obese T2DM subjects suggests a potential role in facilitating glycerol release from adipose tissue and reducing glycerol entry into hepatocytes in obesity and T2DM, respectively.
CITAÇÃO DO ARTIGO Obes Surg. 2008 Jun;18(6):695-701
A Clínica é o hospital privado com maiores recursos tecnológicos de Espanha, tudo num único centro.
Os profissionais da Clínica realizam um trabalho contínuo de investigação e formação, sempre em benefício do paciente.
Conheça porque é que somos diferentes em relação a outros centros sanitários. Qualidade, rapidez, comodidade e resultados.