Ratios of proteins in cerebrospinal fluid in Parkinson's disease cognitive decline: prospective study
Delgado-Alvarado M (1), Dacosta-Aguayo R (1,2), Navalpotro-Gómez I 1,2, Gago B (1,2), Gorostidi A (1,2,3), Jiménez-Urbieta H (1,2), Quiroga-Varela A (1,2,4), Ruiz-Martínez J (1,2,5), Bergareche A (1,2,5), Rodríguez-Oroz MC (1,2,4,5,6,7).
(1) Neurodegenerative Disorders Area, Biodonostia Health Research Institute, San Sebastián, Spain.
(2) Biomedical Research Networking Centre Consortium for the area of Neurodegenerative Diseases (CIBERNED), Madrid, Spain.
(3) Genomics Platform, Biodonostia Research Institute, San Sebastián, Spain.
(4) Clinica Universidad de Navarra, Center for Applied Medical Research (CIMA)-Universidad de Navarra, Pamplona, Spain.
(5) Movement Disorders Unit, Department of Neurology, University Hospital Donostia, San Sebastián, Spain.
(6) Ikerbasque (Basque Foundation for Science), Bilbao, Spain.
(7) Basque Center on Cognition Brain and Language (BCBL), San Sebastián, Spain.
Magazine: Movement Disorders
Date: Nov 13, 2018Neurology [SP]
There is a need for biomarkers of dementia in PD.
To determine if the levels of the main CSF proteins and their ratios are associated with deterioration in cognition and progression to dementia in the short to mid term.
The Parkinson's Progression Markers Initiative database was used as an exploratory cohort, and a center-based cohort was used as a replication cohort. Amyloid ß1-42, total tau, threonine-181 phosphorylated tau, and α-synuclein in the CSF and the ratios of these proteins were assessed.
In the Parkinson's Progression Markers Initiative cohort (n = 281), the total tau/amyloid ß1-42, total tau/α-synuclein, total tau/amyloid ß1-42+α-synuclein, and amyloid ß1-42/total tau ratios were associated with a risk of progression to dementia over a 3-year follow-up. In the replication cohort (n = 40), the total tau/α-synuclein and total tau/amyloid ß1-42+α-synuclein ratios were associated with progression to dementia over a 41-month follow-up.
Ratios of the main proteins found in PD patient brain inclusions that can be measured in the CSF appear to have value as short- to mid-term predictors of dementia.
CITATION Mov Disord. 2018 Nov 13. doi: 10.1002/mds.27518.
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.