Immunophenotypic Pattern of De Novo Malignancy After Liver Transplantation
González JP (1), Zabaleta A (2), Sangro P (3), Basualdo JE (4), Burgos L 2, Paiva B (2), Herrero JI (5).
(1) School of Medicine, University of Navarra, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain.
(2) Flow Cytometry Core, Centro de Investigación Médica Aplicada, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain.
(3) Department of Internal Medicine, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, IDISNA, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain.
(4) Liver Unit, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, IDISNA and CIBEREHD, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain.
(5) Department of Internal Medicine, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, IDISNA, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain; Liver Unit, Clínica Universidad de Navarra, IDISNA and CIBEREHD, Pamplona, Navarra, Spain.
Magazine: Transplantation Proceeding
Date: Jan 14, 2019Internal Medicine [SP] Hepatology
Long-term survival after liver transplantation is affected by de novo neoplasia. The incidence of this type of malignancy is increased in the setting of immunosuppressive therapy.
The aim of this study was to characterize the immunologic pattern of liver transplant recipients with de novo malignancies. Fifty-one liver recipients were studied, 19 of whom had a history of de novo neoplasia. Immunophenotypic patterns among patients with/without tumors were compared.
The subpopulations of CD4+ T lymphocytes and CD8+ T lymphocytes differed between the 2 types of patients studied. In patients with tumor, activation membrane markers in CD4+ T lymphocytes and CD8+ T-lymphocytes, such as CD56 or CD25, were expressed in a greater proportion, whereas activation markers CD314 and CD16 were reduced in CD56bright natural killer (NK) cells.
We concluded that cytotoxic response seems to be more activated in de novo neoplasia patients, which highlights the still unknown malignancy risk effect on these immune cells.
CITATION Transplant Proc. 2019 Jan 14. pii: S0041-1345(18)30882-0. doi: 10.1016/j.transproceed.2018.04.090
you maybe interested
The Clínica is the greater private hospital with technological equipment of Spain, all in a single center.
The professionals of the Clínica perform continuous research and training, always to the benefit of the patient.
Learn why we are different from other healthcare centers. Quality, speed, comfort and results.