Dr. Miguel Mesa
Thoracic Surgery Specialist
Graduate in Medicine - School of Medicine at the Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Carabobo, Venezuela, 2004.
Thoracic Surgery Specialist - Hospital Germans Trias i Pujol and Hospital Universitari Vall d´Hebrón in Barcelona.
Fellowship training - Institut Mutualiste Montsouris (IMM) in Paris (France) in the Thoracic Surgery Department (Dr Gossot) during May and July 2009. Further specialisation in advanced videothoracoscopic surgery techniques.
Collaboration - Lung Transplant Programme at the Hospital Universitari Vall d´Hebrón, Barcelona, December 2008-May 2012.
Attending Physician - Thoracic Surgery Service at the Hospital Universitario Sagrat Cor, Barcelona, September-October 2012.
Clinical Fellow - Thoracic Surgery Service at Nottingham City Hospital NHS Trust, Nottingham, United Kingdom, February- August 2013.
Clinical Fellow - Thoracic Surgery Service at the Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospital NHS Trust, London, United Kingdom, August 2013- February 2015.
AATS (American Association for Thoracic Surgery) Certification in Robotic Surgery, 2018.
Intuitive Surgical Certification in Robotic Surgery, 2018.
Quality in the postoperative management of the thoracic patient
Lung cancer screening.
Early diagnosis and personalised treatment of lung cancer.
Diagnostic and prognostic biomarkers in lung cancer.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Lung Cancer
- Minimally-Invasive Thoracic Surgery
- Mediastinal Tumours
- Lung Metastasis Surgery
- Pectus Excavatum (Funnel Chest)
- Treatment for facial flushing and excessive hand and underarm sweating
- Robotic surgery.
- Thoracic trauma.
As an educator
Teaching collaborator in the internship of MIR residents from the Faculty of Medicine of the Autonomous University of Barcelona in the Thoracic Surgery Service of the Germans Trias i Pujol Hospital.
Professor in the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Navarra.
As a researcher
He has participated in 8 articles published in national and international scientific journals.
He has given over 30 lectures/presentations at national and international conferences.
He has collaborated on 2 book chapters.
- European Board of Thoracic Surgery. Awarded by the Union Européenne des Medecins Spécialistes. June 2014, Copenhagen, Denmark.
- Member of the European Society for Thoracic Surgery (ESTS).
- Member of the Spanish Society of Thoracic Surgery (SECT).
- Member of the Iberoamerican Society of Thoracic Surgery.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Pneumology and Thoracic Surgery (SEPAR).
Latest scientific publications
- Antero-lateral transthoracic endoscopic approach for a calcified thoracic disc herniation Jul 1, 2022 | Magazine: Neurosurgical Focus:Video
- A model based on the quantification of complement C4c, CYFRA 21-1 and CRP exhibits high specificity for the early diagnosis of lung cancer Feb 19, 2021 | Magazine: Translational Research