meet Dr. Jesús San Miguel Izquierdo
Haematology and Haemotherapy Specialist
Area of Expertise: multiple myeloma
training andProfessional Career
Graduated in Medicine from the University of Navarra, was awarded his doctorate and recognised as an expert in Haematology by the University of Salamanca. He is currently the Head of Clinical and Translational Medicine at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, which includes roles such as Medical Director of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Scientific Director of CIMA and Vice-Dean of Research at the University of Navarra.
Previously, he was Head of the Haematology Unit at the University Hospital of Salamanca, Researcher and Deputy Director of the Cancer Research Centre, Scientific Director of the Biomedical Research Institute of Salamanca (IBSAL), Director of studies at the University Hospital of Salamanca, Deputy Director of the Medicine Department at the University of Salamanca and a member of the Research Commission at the University of Salamanca.
As an educator
Haematology Professor at the University of Navarra.
As a researcher
He has had 615 articles published in international magazines, 141 articles in national magazines, and has written 120 book chapters and monographs.
He has given over 150 speeches in highly prestigious international institutions such as the Mayo Clinic, Erasmus University, Royal Postgraduate Medical School in London, as well as educational programmes for the European Haematology Association, American Haematology Association, and American Society of Clinical Oncology etc.
Latest scientific publications
- Pomalidomide, bortezomib, and dexamethasone for patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma previously treated with lenalidomide (OPTIMISMM): a randomised, open-label, phase 3 trial
- Randomized phase 3 study of carfilzomib or bortezomib with melphalan-prednisone for transplant-ineligible, NDMM patients
- Honorary Member of the Royal Academy of Medicine in Salamanca
- Academy of Pharmacy in Castilla and León
- Elected President of the International Myeloma Society
- Coordinator of Spanish Myeloma Group
- Founder and board member of the European Myeloma Network
- Founder and board member of the International Myeloma Society
- Lilly Foundation for Biomedical Research Prize (2014)
- King Jaime I Medical Research Prize (2013)
- Jose Carreras EHA Award (2012)
- Kyle Life achievement award (2012)
- National Academy of Medicine in Buenos Aires Haematologist Prize
- Most influential Iberoamerican award (1999)
- Health Sciences Foundation Clinical Investigation Prize (2000)
- CEOE of Scientific Research in Biomedical Sciences Prize (2001)
- National Oncology Prize (2007)
- National Research Prize (2007)
- Multiple Myeloma Waldenström Award (2007)
- Scientific and Technical Research Castilla and León Award (2008)
- Severo Ochoa Biomedical Research Prize (Madrid, May 2010)
- Cross of Merit from the Ministry of Defence (for his contribution to Balkans syndrome)
- Entrusted by the Civil Order of Health
you mayBE INTERESTED
The Clínica is the spanish private hospital with the greatest technological equipment in one single center.
If you live outside of Spain and you wish to receive care at the Clínica, learn about our services for international patients.
Why we are different from other healthcare centers.
Quality, speed, comfort and results.