Dr. Iciar Aviles Olmos
Specialist in Neurology.
Clinical practice and research in movement disorders. Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease and surgical treatment (deep brain stimulation and HIFU) of movement disorders
Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Murcia in 2002.
Specialist in Neurology at the Hospital Universitario Severo Ochoa, Madrid in 2009.
Master in Movement Disorders, University of Murcia, validated by the European Credit Transfer System, in 2013.
Certificate in Research Methodology, Fundación de la Organización Médica Colegial (2008-2009).
Clinical Research Fellow, Unit of Functional Neurosurgery, Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience, University College London. Institute of Neurology and the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery, London, UK. Since 2009-2014. Under the direction of Professor P. Limousin and Professor T. Foltynie.
Doctor of Medicine from University College London, London, UK (2013).
2014-Feb2018: Neurology Service Specialist. Movement Disorders Unit and Functional Neurosurgery Unit (CSUR)-Ramon y Cajal University Hospital (HRyC), Madrid. Spain. Researcher at the Instituto Ramón y Cajal de Investigación Sanitaria (IRyCIS).
PhD at University College London based on Exendin-4 as a new medical treatment for Parkinson's Disease (PD).
Principal Investigator of the FIS-Carlos III project (PI15-01716): Biochemical and electrophysiological changes in NST/SNr DBS in patients with Parkinson's disease and gait disturbance.
Participation as clinical research associate Sobell Department of Motor Neuroscience and Movement Disorders, UCL. London. June 2009-2014.
Participation as clinical associate in IRyCIS-HRyC 2014-Feb 2018.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Neuroprotection in Parkinson's Disease, the effect of surgical treatment (Deep Brain Stimulation, HIFU) on axial and non-motor symptoms in patients with Parkinson's Disease and cognitive impairment in patients with movement disorders
As an educator
2016-2017; Clinical Coordinator of the Simulation Program in patients with Parkinson's Disease. University Center for Advanced Clinical Simulation of the Francisco de Vitoria University, Madrid.
2014-2018; Participation in the teaching of Resident Doctors at the Hospital Universitario Ramón y Cajal, Madrid.
Participation as speaker in more than 20 national meetings and congresses on movement disorders.
2010-2014 Teaching participation in the Master/Diploma in Clinical Neurology, National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN), London, UK.
2011 - Present (except second edition 2012-2013); Teaching participation as a professor in the online Master in Movement Disorders. Chapter PD Surgery. University of Murcia. Spain.
2013 Supervisor - mentor of DBS nurses during the course of prescription for non-medical staff. School of Health Sciences. City University London.
2011-2012 Professor of the Master of Advanced Practical Nursing for Movement Disorder. School of Health Sciences. City University London.
As a researcher
Author of 29 scientific publications in national and international peer-reviewed journals.
Total citations: 83; Average of citations/year during the last 5 years (without current year): 743 / 5= 148,6; Total publications in first quartile (Q1): 14 ; Index h: 16; Top3: 3 publications are in the top3.
The article "Exenatide and the treatment of patients with Parkinson's disease" is considered a highly cited article (it received enough citations to be included in the top 1% of the best articles in its academic field based on a threshold of highly cited articles for the field and the year of publication).
- 2013/2014 and 2012/2013 Honorable Mention as second best teacher in the Clinical Teaching Awards. National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN) London, UK
- 2011/2012 Honorable Mention in the voting for best professor in the Clinical Teaching Awards . National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery (NHNN) London, UK.
- 2012 Exendin-4 as a New Treatment for Parkinson's Disease (PD) Selected as one of the stellar papers at the LXIV Annual Meeting of the Spanish Society of Neurology, Barcelona, Spain.
- 2011 Movement Disorders Travel Award, 2011.
- 2009 Resident Fellowship, UCB Pharma-GETM SEN. Movement Disorders Unit. Ramon y Cajal Hospital, Madrid, Spain.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Neurology
2010-2012 : member of the Committee of Young Neurologists of the SEN
- 2015-2016: Member of the SEN Ad-Hoc Committee on Translational Research
- Nov 2016-Present; Secretary of the Coordinating Board of the Study Group of Movement Disorders-SEN
- Scientific Communications Reviewer, Movement Disorders Area, presented at the LXIX SEN Annual Meeting, Valencia 2017
Latest scientific publications
- Time to Consider the "Exposome Hypothesis" in the Development of the Obesity Pandemic Apr 12, 2022 | Magazine: Nutrients
- Factors Associated with Headache and Nausea During Magnetic Resonance-Guided Focused Ultrasound for Tremor Apr 18, 2021 | Magazine: Movement Disorders Clinical Practice