Dr. Felipe Calvo
Co-Director of the Department of Radiation Oncology
Scientific Director of the Proton Therapy Unit
Specialist in Radiation Oncology.
Graduated in Medicine and Surgery at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid in 1978.
Specialist in Radiation Oncology at the Clínica Puerta de Hierro, Madrid in 1983.
Doctor by the University of Navarra. (Extraordinary Prize) in 1986.
Radiation Oncology Service. Director at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, 1985.
Attending 1991-93. Radiation Oncology and Nuclear Medicine. Hahnemann University.
Head of Department 1993-2017. Oncology. General University Hospital Gregorio Marañon.
Level IV professional career. Ministry of Health. Community of Madrid, 2011.
- Research (6 sexenios CNEAI 1981-2016).
- Collaborator 2CIBER, 5 FIS, 3 others
- IP 2 FIS, 2 MMA
Special research interest in these fields:
- High-precision radiotherapy
- Intraoperative radiotherapy
- Digestive cancer
- Pediatric radiotherapy
- Concomitant radio-chemotherapy
- Progressive oncology: long survivors and multiple cancers
- Radiotherapy in oligocancer: metastasis and recurrences
- Oncologic rescue: interdisciplinary evaluation and treatment with radiotherapy component
AREAS OF INTEREST
As an educator
Teaching (4 quinquennial ANECA).
Professor of the Department of Oncology, School of Medicine, University of Navarra since September 2018.
Full Professor. Radiation Oncology. Hahnemann University (Philadelphia). 1991-93.
Associate Professor 1993 Radiology and Physical Medicine at the Complutense University of Madrid.
Titular Professor 1995 Radiation Oncology Complutense University.
Vice-Dean of Hospital 2006-10. Faculty of Medicine. Complutense University of Madrid
University Professor 2007- (linked). Department of Radiology and Physical Medicine. Faculty of Medicine. Complutense University of Madrid.
Director of 21 doctoral theses.
As a researcher
Over 157 articles in scientific publications in national and international journals.
Author of 5 books and 38 book chapters. Over 265 abstracts and communications in congresses, cumulative impact factor > 300; (50% of the publications in Q1 and 23% in Q2).
Corresponding member of the Royal National Academy of Medicine of Spain, full member of the Spanish Medical-Surgical Academy and member of the International Educational Committee (American Society of Radiation Oncology ASTRO).
- Life Achievement Award of the European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology 2021.
- Named Fellow by the American Society for Radiation Oncology (ASTRO) in 2019.
- Vice President 1984-86. Spanish Society of Radiation Oncology / President 1986-92.
- National Commission of the Specialty of Radiation Oncology / President 1998 International.
- Society of Intraoperative Radiotherapy /Patron 2002-10.
- Scientific Foundation. Spanish Association Against Cancer/ Education Council 2010- European Society for Therapeutric Radiology and Oncology / Scientific Committee 2012- active. European School of Oncology.
Latest scientific publications
- Hospital-based proton therapy implementation during the COVID pandemic: early clinical and research experience in a European academic institution May 23, 2023 | Magazine: Clinical & Translational Oncology
- Neurocognitive outcomes in pediatric brain tumors after treatment with proton versus photon radiation: a systematic review and meta-analysis May 8, 2023 | Magazine: World Journal of Pediatrics