Dr. Fernando Martínez
Co-director of Mammary Pathology Unit
Co-director of Breast Cancer Area
General Surgery Specialist
Area of expertise: breast cancer, stomach cancer, oesophagus cancer, peritoneal carcinomatosis, oncological surgery and benign mammary pathologies
Graduate (1989) and Doctorate (1997) in Medicine by the University of Navarra. He was accredited by the European Board of Surgery in Surgical Oncology, from the European Union of Medical Specialists (UESM, 2004). He was qualified as an expert in Mammary Oncoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery by the University of Coruña (2006). He has been a General Surgery Specialist at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra since 1995.
Since 1996, he has been a clinical specialist in the General Surgery Department at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra. Since 2006, he has been Head of the Mammary Pathology Unit.
Since 2015 Co-director of Breast Cancer Area at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Over the years, he has worked in a weekly basis in Experimental Surgery at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra. He has also participated in 6 research projects in experimental organ transplants.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Mammary cancer surgery
- Conservative Oncoplastic Mammary surgery
- Sentinel node biopsy
- Cancer surgery after neoadjuvant treatments
- Peritoneal carcinomatosis surgery
- Gastroesophageal cancer surgery
- Oncological surgery in emerging countries
- Teaching surgery in the Faculty of Medicine
As an educator
Titular professor of Surgery at the Faculty of Medicine at the University of Navarra (June 2013)
Titular professor of Surgery for ANECA since 2012
Professor in charge of the subjects "Surgery and Anaesthesia" (core subject in the third year of Medicine) and "Breast Pathology" from 1998 to the present days.
As a researcher
Author of more than 40 articles and more than 200 presentations at national and international conferences.
- Spanish Association of Surgeons.
- SEOQ (Spanish Society of Surgical Oncology).
- European Society of Surgical Oncology.
- American Breast Surgeons.
- Society of Surgical Oncology (USA).
- AECIMA (Spanish Association of Breast Surgeons).
- GECOP (Spanish Group of Peritoneal Oncological Surgery).
- Association of Surgeons of the North.
Latest scientific publications
- Delays to surgery following chemoradiotherapy lead to poorer oncologic outcomes in patients with localized pancreatic adenocarcinoma Nov 22, 2022 | Magazine: Revista Española de Enfermedades Digestivas
- Comparison of phenotypes and outcomes following resection of incidental versus symptomatic pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors Jun 1, 2022 | Magazine: Revista Española de Enfermedades Digestivas