Dr. Mª Teresa Herraiz Bayod
Head of Prevention and Consultation for High Risk Digestive Tumours Unit
Graduate (1994) and Doctor (2002) in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra. She became a Digestive System specialist (1998) at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra. She did her postdoctoral residency in Consultation for High Risk Digestive Tumours in the Massachusetts General Hospital (University of Harvard) from May 2005-October 2007.
Since 1999, she has worked as a medical specialist in the Digestion Department at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
She has been in charge of the Prevention and Consultation for High Risk Digestive Tumours Unit at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, since January 2008.
She has participated in 11 basic and clinical publically financed research projects for the prevention and treatment of digestive tumours.
AREAS OF INTEREST
His main areas of interest are the prevention of digestive tract tumours (mainly colon) in the general population and in high-risk populations, and the diagnosis and management of hereditary digestive cancers using advanced endoscopy.
He has developed new genomic tools for the diagnosis of hereditary cancer with massive sequencing techniques, and seeks to implement the role of liquid biopsy in the early detection of cancer.
As an educator
- Associate professor accredited by the ANECA since April 2009 – teaching different classes in Medicine at the University of Navarra (digestive system, genetics, problem based learning)
- Masters professor in Biomedical Engineering at TECNUN and the University of Navarra
- Masters in Medical Education from the University of Navarra (2013-2014)
As a researcher
Author of 47 publications in national and international journals, 2 books and 9 book chapters.
She has presented more than 100 communications at national and international conferences and 17 invited lectures and papers.
- In November 2018, she was appointed President of the Spanish Society of Digestive Endoscopy (SEED)
- Tesorera de la Sociedad Española de Endoscopia Digestiva para los años: 2012-2015.
- Miembro del “Grupo Español de Calidad para la Colonoscopia de Cribado”.
- Miembro del Comité Ejecutivo de la “Alianza para la prevención del cáncer de colon”.
Latest scientific publications
- Mutational signature profiling classifies subtypes of clinically different mismatch-repair-deficient tumours with a differential immunogenic response potential Jun 1, 2022 | Magazine: Bristish Journal of Cancer
- Clinical and Pathological Characterization of Lynch-Like Syndrome Feb 1, 2022 | Magazine: Clinical Gastroenterology and Hepatology