Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Navarra in 1991.
Specialist in Neurology in the Clínica Universidad de Navarra in 1995.
Doctor of Medicine, University of La Laguna, 1999.
Residency in the Brain Bank (Prof. Jenner) National Parkinson Foundation, Miami (USA), 1995-1996.
Stay in the laboratory of animal neurophysiology at Emory University (Dr. Vitek-Dr. DeLong), Atlanta (USA), 1997.
Stay at the Institute of Neurology, London (Dr. Lemon) in the Animal Neurophysiology Unit, 2004.
Consultant, Department of Neurology and Neurosurgery, Clínica Universitaria de la Universidad de Navarra, 2010-2011.
From May 2011 to 2017, Senior Researcher Ikerbasque and Director of Research in Parkinson's disease at BioDonostia Research Institute, Deputy of Neurology at the Hospital Universitario Donostia, San Sebastian.
Main researcher in the following research projects:
1. Multi-center, randomized, double-blind, double-blind
masking, parallel group controlled vs L-Dopa plus Carbidopa
(SINEMET) to evaluate the efficacy and safety of tablets
effervescents of CHF 1512 in Parkinson's patients with fluctuations
predictable engines during the day, final version 10/06/02 (promoted by
2. Parkinson's disease and dementia: is homocysteine a factor
etiopathogenic in the extension of the neurodegenerative process? Funded by the Government of Navarra. Grants for the Training and Research Plan and Development (R&D) 2003-2004 (27,995 euros).
3. Efficiency of deep brain stimulation of the subthalamic nucleus in
non-motor fluctuations of Parkinson's disease. Funded by
Medtronic Ibérica. 2006-2008.
4. Cognitive impairment in Parkinson's disease: Anatomo-functional basis
and predisposing factors. Department of Health of the Government of
5. Anatomo-functional bases of the cognitive deterioration in the disease of
Parkinson's: characterization of mild cognitive impairment National R&D&I Plan 2008-2011. PI08/1539 (121,726 euros)
6. Subthalamic Nucleus Deep Brain Stimulation for the treatment of
Impulse Control Disorders (ICD) in Parkinson's disease ERA-NET NEURON
(Network of European Funding for Neuroscience Research), 2011-2013.
7. Mechanisms involved in impulsivity in a parkinsonism model
Provincial Council of Guipúzcoa. DFG 11/019. Date of beginning-end:
1/07/20102- 9/09/2012. Amount financed: 80.113 €
And as a research associate in 11 research projects.
AREAS OF INTEREST
En el campo clínico:
Ha trabajado en varias líneas de investigación en pacientes con Enfermedad de Parkinson:
- Terapias avanzadas: estimulación cerebral profunda y Magnetic Resonance guided Focused Ultrasound (MRgFUS) en ganglios basales y tálamo
- Fisiopatología de los ganglios basales
- Demencia y deterioro cognitivo
- Trastorno del control de los impulsos (TCI) como una complicación grave del uso crónico de medicamentos dopaminérgicos;
- Trastornos de la marcha
- Detección de biomarcadores diagnósticos tempranos y de progresión
En el campo básico:
Ha desarrollado varias líneas de investigación en dos modelos de parkinsonismo: agudo y grave, con la toxina 6-OHDA y lentamente progresivo con AAV que sobreexpresa alfa-sinucleína mutada.
Las líneas de investigación son:
- Complicaciones motoras (disquinesias) y no motoras (impulsividad anormal) del tratamiento dopaminérgico en modelos animales de parkinsonismo;
- Implicación de la glía en el inicio y progresión de la muerte dopaminérgica;
- Disfunción sináptica y degeneración dopaminérgica
As an educator
Since 2013, she has been a professor of Neurology accredited by ANECA.
2013. Professor of the Master in Neuropsychology with the paper "Anatomy of movement I. Organization of the CNS. Nuclei and motor pathways".
Autonomous University of Barcelona. San Sebastian, 10th October 2013.
2014-2016. Associate Professor and Coordinator of Physiology in the degree of Biomedical Engineering. Tecnun. University of Navarra.
2014-2016. Associate Professor of Anatomy in the degree of Biomedical Engineering. Technun. University of Navarra.
2014. Professor of the Master's Degree in Diagnosis and Treatment of Neurodegenerative Diseases with the paper "Physiopathology of the Basal Ganglia".
University of the Basque Country UPV-EHU. March 20th, 2014.
2009-present: Professor of the Master of Neurosciences at the University of Navarra. "Function and dysfunction of the basal ganglia".
2007-April 2011: Professor of Neurology, University of Navarra.
2000-2007: Associate Professor of Neurology, University of Navarra.
As a researcher
She has published more than 150 articles in national and international scientific journals.
Co-author of more than 30 chapters in books of her specialty.
Over 200 communications in national and international congresses and has been invited to give 144 conferences.
In addition, she has directed 12 doctoral theses.
- Federico Oloriz Institute of Neurosciences Award to the best young researcher of the year, Royal Academy of Medicine Granada, 2001.
- Member of the Royal Academy of Medicine of Granada since January 2002.
- Faculty Member in the European Continuing Medical Training. The Deep Brain Stimulation for Movement Disorders June 2002, October 2003.
- Second prize. Parkinson's Disease. Foundation of the Spanish Society of Neurology, November 2002.
- Award to the best poster on Movement Disorders. Spanish Society of Neurology 2007.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Neurology (SEN), Spanish Society of Neurosciences (SENC), Spanish Group of Movement Disorders, Movement Disorders Society, Society for Neuroscience, International Basal Ganglia Society.
- Reviewer of national journals specialized in Neurology and international journals with a high impact index such as New England, Brain, Lancet in Neurology, Journal of Neurology Neurosurgery and Psichiatry, Movement Disorders, Jorunal of Neural Transmission, Experimental Brain Research, Neurobiology of Disease, Experimental Neurology and European Journal of Neurology.
- Reviewer of the scientific papers presented at the Annual Meeting of the Spanish Society of Neurology, 2014-2015
Associate Editor of Movement Disorders Journal.
- Member of the editorial board of Movement Disorders clinical practice.
- Member of the Education Committee of the Movement Disorders Society.
- Associate editor of Movement Disorders Journal since January 2016.
- Member of the Scientific Issues Committee of the Movement Disorders Society.
- Member of the international committee for the elaboration of treatment guidelines with deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease.
- Faculty member of the European Continuing Medical Training in Deep Brain Stimulation in movement disorders.
- Member of the Task Force of the Movement Disorders Society in mild cognitive impairment in Parkinson's Disease.
- Member of the Task Force of the Movement Disorders Society in neuroimaging in Parkinson's Disease.
- Member of the Task Force of the Movement Disorders Society in rare diseases with movement disorders.
- Member of the board of directors of the movement disorders study group of the Spanish Society of Neurology.
- Evaluator of national (ISCIII; Agencia de Andalucia, etc.) and international (Parkinson's UK; South African Medical Research Council; Agence Nationale de la Recherche (ANR) de France) research projects.
Latest scientific publications
- Oligodendrocytes, a New Player in the Etiology of Parkinson's Disease [SP] Nov 18, 2020 | Magazine: Movement Disorders
- [18F]-DPA-714 PET as a specific in vivo marker of early microglial activation in a rat model of progressive dopaminergic degeneration Mar 23, 2020 | Magazine: European Journal of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging