Dr. José Ignacio Herrero Santos
Internal Medicine Specialist
Area of Expertise: hepatic transplants
Graduated (1988) and was awarded his doctorate (1996) in Medicine, with distinction by the University of Navarra. He works as an Internal Medicine Specialist at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
He has a Diploma of Honour from the European Board of Medicine for Transplants.
He carried out his residences in order to complete his training in the Hepatic Transplant Unit of the The Queen Elizabeth Hospital de Birmingham (United Kingdom), the University of Michigan Medical Center at the Universidad de Michigan (USA), the Presbyterian University Hospital at the Universidad de Pittsburgh (USA) and the Northwestern University Hospital (Chicago, USA)
He now works as a specialist in the Hepatology Unit in the Internal Medicine Department at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
He is a researcher at the Centre of Biomedical Research in the Network of Hepatic and Digestive Nurses (CIBER-EHD). His main areas of research are hepatic transplants, hepatic damage and hepatocarcinoma.
He has participated in more than 10 clinical trials in Hepatology, mainly focused on hepatic transplants.
He has participated in more than 10 research studies in Hepatology.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Hepatic Transplants
- Hepatic damage
As an educator
Titular professor at the University of Navarra Faculty of Medicine.
As a researcher
Author of more than 200 speeches and presentations at national and international conferences.
Author of more than 75 articles and book chapters.
- Spanish Society of Internal Medicine
- Basque-Navarre Society of Digestive Pathology.
- Spanish Association for the Study of the Liver
- Spanish Society of Liver Transplantation
- Spanish Society of Transplants
- European Association for the Study of the Liver
- European Society for Organ Transplantation
- International Liver Transplant Society
- The Transplant Society
- American Association for the Study of Liver Disease
- Member of the Board of Directors and Secretary of the Scientific Committee of the Spanish Society of Liver Transplantation in the period 2009-2013.
- Member of the Scientific Committee of the Spanish Association for the Study of the Liver since 2009.
Latest scientific publications
- Mapping early serum proteome signatures of liver regeneration in living donor liver transplant cases May 12, 2023 | Magazine: Biofactors
- Lung cancer screening using low-dose CT and FDG-PET in liver transplant recipients Mar 20, 2023 | Magazine: Liver Transplantation