Dr. Javier Aristu Mendioroz
Specialist in Radiation Oncology.
Preferential dedication to radiosurgery, cranial and extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy
Graduated (1987) and Doctor (2000) in Medicine and Surgery by the University of Navarra. Specialist in Radiation Oncology by the Clínica Universidad de Navarra (1993). He completed his training in radiosurgery and stereotactic radiotherapy in Baylor College (Houston), in the RSA (Burlington, Boston, 1995) and in the Department of Radiation Oncology, University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, University of Iowa (United States, 2010).
Section Chief of the Department of Radiation Oncology, Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Coordinator of the Area of Neuro-Oncology and Gastrointestinal Tumors of the Clinic.
Clinical Director of the Proton Therapy Unit at the Madrid headquarters since 2020.
He has participated in 9 funded research projects, as principal investigator in 3 of them.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- He leads the program of special radiotherapy techniques such as radiosurgery, cranial and extracranial stereotactic radiotherapy and intensity-modulated radiotherapy (IMRT), as well as their integration into multidisciplinary cancer treatment programs.
- He participates in studies and clinical trials that combine radiotherapy with new molecular drugs in various tumor locations.
- Proton therapy in cancer treatment.
As an educator
Professor of the University of Navarra accredited by ANECA. He is a professor of Oncology (6th Medicine) and of the Master of Biomedical Engineering.
Responsible for the internship of medical students in the Department of Radiation Oncology.
Professor of doctorate courses.
Tutor of residents in Radiation Oncology.
He has directed two doctoral theses and has been a tribunal in six.
Teacher in the specialty of Oncological Nursing at the Clinic.
As a researcher
Author of more than 75 articles in national and international scientific journals of the specialty.
He has written 22 chapters of specialized books.
He has presented 200 communications or papers invited to national and international congresses.
Reviewer of articles in 4 indexed scientific journals.
- American Society of Therapeutic Radiation Oncology (ASTRO).
- European Society ofTherapeutic Radiation Oncology (ESTRO).
- European Association of Neuroncology (EANO).
- Spanish Society of Radiation Oncology (SEOR).
- Spanish Society of Radiosurgery (SER).
- Spanish Group of Neuroncology (GENO).
- Spanish Group of Breast Cancer Research (GEICAM).
- International Medical Society.
- Member of the board of directors of 5 scientific societies.
Latest scientific publications
- Repeated stereotactic radiosurgery for recurrent brain metastases Jun 20, 2020 | Magazine: Critical Reviews in Oncology/Hematology
- A novel concept to include uncertainties in the evaluation of stereotactic body radiation therapy after 4D dose accumulation using deformable image registration Aug 11, 2019 | Magazine: Medical Physics