Dr. Bernardo Hontanilla Calatayud
Scientific and Academic Director of the Department of Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery
Aesthetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgery Department Specialist
Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the Faculty of Medicine. Complutense University of Madrid in 1992.
Doctor of Medicine and Surgery, Faculty of Medicine. Autonomous University in 1995.
Specialist in Plastic, Aesthetic and Reconstructive Surgery since 1999. Gregorio Marañón General University Hospital and Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
Director of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the University of Navarra Clinic from 2008 to 2020.
Scientific and Academic Director of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra since 2020.
He has directed 11 national research projects aimed at:
- Analysis of muscle transplants and nerve transfers in facial paralysis using 3D infrared image analysis.
- Analysis of capsular contracture in the contamination of breast implants according to the different types of prostheses on the market.
- Research of peripheral nerve regeneration through auto and nerve allografts.
- Investigation of the TGF-B1 inhibitor peptide (p144) both in the formation of periprosthetic capsules, scars as well as in the effect on the regeneration of the peripheral nerve.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Facial paralysis reconstruction and microsurgery.
- Aesthetic facial, breast and body surgery.
- Breast reconstruction.
- Head and neck and limb reconstruction.
- Vascular malformations.
As an educator
- Associate Professor at the University of Navarra School of Medicine until 2003.
- Hired Professor Doctor (ANECA accredited) in 2004.
- Titular Professor (ANECA accredited) in 2008.
- Professor of Plastic Surgery at the University of Navarra since 2015 (ANECA accredited Professor of Surgery 20014).
As a researcher
- He has directed 15 doctoral theses.
- He has published 73 articles indexed in JCR. 55% in international Q1 journals.
- He has given 18 international lectures as a guest professor and 135 national lectures.
- He has made 25 contributions to books and book chapters (3 of them in English).
- Regular reviewer of the high impact journals Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (PRS) and Journal of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (JPRAS).
Awards and recognitions
- In 2014 it has received the Hans Anderl award at European level. Award that promotes excellence in the field of Plastic Surgery in Europe (EURAPS).
- He has been awarded by the Royal National Academy of Medicine of Spain on two occasions (1999 and 2007) and by the Royal Academy of Medicine of Cadiz (2012).
- First plastic surgeon accredited as a professor by ANECA.
National resident award in 1997.
- Member of the Spanish Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery (SECPRE).
- Member of the SECPRE Board of Directors from 2016 to present.
- Member of the National Commission for the specialty of the Ministry of Health from 2018 to the present.
- Member of the European Association of Plastic Surgeons (EURAPS).
- Official representative of Spain before the International Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Society (IPRAS) from 2008 to 2012.
- Representative of Spain in ICOPLAST (International Confederation of Plastic Surgeons) from 2016 to the present.
- Secretary of the Euraps Research Council.
Latest scientific publications
- Measuring Patient-Reported Outcomes After Facial Paralysis Reconstruction Surgery Using the FACE-Q Jul 4, 2023 | Magazine: Facial Plastic Surgery & Aesthetic Medicine
- Botulinum toxin type A infiltration in spasticity and cervical dystonia. Muscle morphology: an overlooked factor Apr 26, 2023 | Magazine: Neurología