Dr. Bartolomé Bejarano
His main interest is focused on the surgery of brain and spinal tumors using the most modern techniques, such as minimally invasive approaches with microsurgery, neuronavigation, tractography, fluorescence, neurophysiological monitoring, intraoperative MRI, endoscopy.
Graduated in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Cordoba (1989).
Specialty in Neurosurgery at the Hospital Universitario La Paz in Madrid (1996) and later Doctor of Medicine from the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid (2004).
He has completed his training with monthly rotations in the Neurosurgery Departments of General Hospital Vienna of the University of Vienna (Austria), Mission Hospital of the University of California (USA), St. Louis University Hospital (Missouri, USA), Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (USA), Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (USA). ), Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (Philadelphia, USA), University of Pittsburgh Medical Center (PA, USA) and NYU Langone Medical Center (NY, USA), as well as short training stays in very specific fields in several hospitals in Spain, Germany, France, England, Italy and USA.
As a neurosurgeon he has worked in several public hospitals (Hospital Clínico Universitario de Santiago de Compostela, Hospital Universitario de León, Hospital Universitario Río Hortega de Valladolid) before joining the Clínica Universidad de Navarra in 1999, where he remained until 2016, at which time he moved to Madrid to work at the Hospital Universitario Fundación Jiménez Díaz (Quironsalud) until 2019.
He obtained, via ECFMG/USMLE exam, the permanent validation of the Foreign Physician Certificate to practice medicine in the USA.
In 2013 he obtained the degree of Technical Engineer in Systems Engineering from the UNED.
He has participated in research projects on Computational Neurosciences, Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks, Complex Systems (especially the brain), "Machine Learning" and Neuroeconomics.
In addition, he has collaborated in several clinical trials on neuro-oncology, nerve regeneration and neuroprosthetics:
- Anatomical and functional connectivity of the transected ulnar nerve after intercostal neurotization in cats. Funding entities: FIS. PI: Alberto Isla Guerrero (Autonomous University of Madrid). 1995-2002.
- Study of the molecular alterations of PTEN gene and the expression of the corresponding protein in DNA from astrocytomas extracted through microdissection of immunostained tissue against the PTEN protein. Prognostic value of these alterations. Fundig entities: Departamento de Salud del Gobierno de Navarra. PI: Miguel Ángel Idoate Gastearena (Clínica Universidad de Navarra). 2007 - 2009.
- Proteogenomics Medicine in cancer: identification and detection of peptide biomarkers through mass spectrometry. Participating entities: CIMA. Funding entities: Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades. PI: Victoriano Segura Ruiz (Center for Applied Medical Research). 2016-2018
- A Randomised Controlled Study to Evaluate the Efficacy and Safety of Fibrin Sealant, Vapour Heated, Solvent/Detergent Treated (FS VH S/D 500 s apr) Compared to DuraSeal Dural Sealant as an Adjunct to Sutured Dural Repair in Cranial Surgery. Multicenter research trial. Participating entities: University Hospital Fundación Jiménez Díaz. Neurosurgeon: Bartolomé Bejarano. PI: Donald Cheatem (Baxter Healthcare Corporation). Study number 3599-001. 2017-2018.
- Effects of ambulation training using biomechanical exoskeleton HUMEXE on patients with spinal cord injury. Protocol Number: HUMEXE-052018. Sponsor: Tecnimusa, S.L. Funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Programme under Grant Agreement No 784560. Coordinating Investigator: Bartolomé Bejarano. 2018-2019.
- Auditory Brainstem Implants (ABI) on children and adults with bilateral severe sensorineural hearing loss. Neurosurgeon: Bartolomé Bejarano. Collaborating entities: Cochlear. PI: Manuel Manrique (Clínica Universidad de Navarra). 2007-2019.
AREAS OF INTEREST
He collaborates with CIMA in proteogenomics studies in brain tumors. In addition, he has interest in Computational Neurosciences, Neural Networks and Data Mining / Machine Learning.
As an educator
He has been associate professor at the Faculty of Medicine of the UNAV (2003-2016 and again since 2019) and at the Master in Biomedical Engineering of the UNAV. He has also been an associate clinical professor at the Universidad Autónoma de Madrid, UAM (2016-2019).
As a researcher
He has published more than 30 articles in national and international journals and 3 book chapters, and has presented a large number of communications at Neurosurgery congresses.
- He won by merit a scholarship from the UAM to do a postgraduate year (1997-98) in the Department of Cognitive and Neural Systems, Boston University (MA, USA), on Computer Neurosciences, Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks.
- He is a member of several scientific societies: SENEC (Spanish Society of Neurosurgery), SEBAC (Spanish Society of Skull Base), SENFE (Spanish Society of Functional Neurosurgery), NEURORAQUIS (Spanish Society of Spinal and Medullary Surgery), EANS (European Association of Neurosurgical Societies), CNS (Congress of Neurological Surgeons), WFNS (World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies).
Latest scientific publications
- Vestibular Impairment in Hemifacial Spasm Syndrome: A Case Report Mar 25, 2020 | Magazine: The Journal of International Advanced Otology
- Clinical Profile and Results Obtained in Patients Treated by Auditory Brainstem Implants Jan 11, 2020 | Magazine: Acta Otorrinolaringológica Española