Dr. Josepmaría Argemí
Specialist in Internal Medicine.
Preferential dedication to the study and treatment of liver diseases and tumors of the liver area.
Graduated in Medicine from the University of Barcelona (1997-2003).
Specialist in Internal Medicine from the Università Campus Bio-Medico, Rome, Italy (2005-2010).
Doctor of Medicine, University of Navarra (2010-2015).
Post-doctoral Fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh (2017-2020).
He is currently a Collaborating Physician in the Hepatology Unit of the Department of Internal Medicine of the University of Navarra Clinic, a Collaborating Professor in the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra and an Adjunct Assistant Professor in the Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition of the University of Pittsburgh (PA, USA).
Principal Investigator within the Hepatology Program of the Center for Applied Medical Research (CIMA) of the University of Navarra and Adjunct Assistant Professor of the University of Pittsburgh.
The basic, translational and clinical research carried out in these years has been focused on the field of liver disease related to alcohol abuse, liver regeneration and metabolic disorders that lead to fat accumulation in liver cells, whether endocrine, toxic or genetic.
Through his research work, he has revealed the role of cellular stress response systems during liver regeneration. Currently he has focused his attention on the mechanisms of cellular stress that lead to immune evasion by cancer cells (Hepatocarcinoma) with a view to developing new strategies to increase the effectiveness of immunotherapy in this type of cancer.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Study and treatment of liver diseases from initial stages to cirrhosis of the liver.
- Study and treatment of liver tumors.
- Study and treatment of fatty liver.
- Study and treatment of genetic liver diseases.
- Study and treatment of toxic-medicinal liver diseases.
As an educator
Collaborating Professor in the School of Medicine of the University of Navarra.
Teaching in the field of physiopathology of the digestive system and in the field of general medical pathology.
As a researcher
He has co-authored 1 book chapter and more than 20 articles in international journals.
He has been co-inventor of a patent in the United States.
He co-directs doctoral theses related to liver cancer.
- In January 2020 he has been appointed Adjunct Assistant Professor at the University of Pittsburgh (USA), where he continues to carry out periodic stays to coordinate research projects in genomics applied to hepatology.
- Member of the International Liver Cancer Association (ILCA).
- Member of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases (AASLD).
- Member of the European Association for the Study of the Liver (EASL).
Latest scientific publications
- Nivolumab after selective internal radiation therapy for the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase 2, single-arm study Nov 1, 2022 | Magazine: Journal for Immunotherapy Cancer
- Integrated Transcriptomic and Proteomic Analysis Identifies Plasma Biomarkers of Hepatocellular Failure in Alcohol-Associated Hepatitis Oct 12, 2022 | Magazine: The American Journal of Pathology