Dr. Jesús San Miguel
Medical Director of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra
Director of Translational Medicine at Cima Universidad de Navarra
Haematology and Haemotherapy Specialist
Area of Expertise: multiple myeloma
Degree in Medicine from the University of Navarra (1976).
Doctor of Medicine, University of Salamanca, Specialist in Haematology (1980).
Medical Director of the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Director of Translational Medicine at Cima Universidad de Navarra, and Director of Clinical and Translational Medicine at the University of Navarra.
He has participated in 50 national, 5 European and 2 American research projects.
He has conducted more than 35 clinical trials as principal investigator.
Associate Editor of: Blood, Hematologica / Hematology Journal, Advances in Hematology, Critical Reviews in Oncology/ Hematology, Focus on Haematology/Oncology, Medical Oncology, etc.
Journal reviewer: New England Journal of Medicine, Blood, Journal of Clinical Oncology, Leukemia, Experimental Hematology, British Journal of Hematology, Lancet, etc.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Multiple Myeloma
- Minimal residual disease
- Development of new anti-tumor drugs
As an educator
Professor of Hematology (Chair) at the University of Navarra
As a researcher
He has participated in more than 160 papers/communications at national and international conferences.
He has contributed to 120 chapters and monographs. He has also contributed to more than 670 articles in international and 141 national journals.
- Gregorio Marañón National Award in the field of Medicine. 2021
- Recognized with the Academy Bob Pinedo Cancer Care Award 2020
- The Michaeli Award" for his contribution to the knowledge of Myeloma (2018)
- Lilly Foundation Biomedical Research Award (2014)
- King Jaime I Prize for Medical Research (2013)
- Jose Carreras EHA Award, (2012)
- Kyle Life achievement award (2012)
- Award from the National Academy of Medicine of Buenos Aires to the Hematologist Latin America with the greatest impact (1999)
- Health Sciences Foundation Clinical Research Award (2000)
CEOE Award for Scientific Research in Biomedical Sciences (2001)
- National Oncology Award (2007)
- National Research Award (2007)
- Waldenström Award for Multiple Myeloma (2007)
- Castilla y León Scientific and Technical Research Award (2008)
- Severo Ochoa Biomedical Research Award 2009 ( Madrid, May 2010)
- Cross of Merit from the Ministry of Defense (for his contribution to the Balkan Syndrome)
- Commendation of the Civil Order of Health
- International: Multiple Myeloma Research Foundation (USA),
- International Myeloma Research Foundation (USA), Leukemia Research Foundation (UK), European Hematology Association.
- National: Genoma España, IDIBAPS, Fundación Española de Hematología, IBIS, Fundación Carreras, etc.
- Industry: International advisory boards of Millennium, Celgene, Novartis, Janssen, Onyx, BMS, MSD.
Latest scientific publications
- Large T cell clones expressing immune checkpoints increase during multiple myeloma evolution and predict treatment resistance Sep 20, 2023 | Magazine: Nature Communications
- Efficacy and safety of isatuximab plus bortezomib, lenalidomide, and dexamethasone in patients with newly diagnosed multiple myeloma ineligible/with no immediate intent for autologous stem cell transplantation Jul 1, 2023 | Magazine: Leukemia