Dr. Nicolás Varela
Responsible for the Pain Area.
Specialist in Anesthesia and Intensive Care
Graduate (2009) and Doctor (2017) in Medicine from the University of Navarra.
Specialist in Anesthesia and Resuscitation by the University of Navarra Clinic (2014).
Clinical Research Fellow at:
- Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital (London, 2016). Reference center in the United Kingdom for orthopedic pathology which has one of the two Spinal Cord Injury Units in the London area. Fellow focused mainly on pathology of muscular-skeletal origin.
- National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery at University College London Hospitals (London, 2016). The NHNN pain unit is the reference center for abdominal-pelvic pain in the United Kingdom. Fellow focused mainly on such pathology and pain of neuropathic origin.
- Guy's and St Thomas's Hospital (London, 2017). Largest neuromodulation device implantation center in Europe. Fellowship focused on neurostimulator implantation.
- Consultant in Pain Medicine at the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital from September 2017 until incorporation into the Clinic.
European Diploma of Anaesthesia (Diplomate of the European Society of Anaesthesia, EDAIC, ESA). 2015.
Diploma of the European Federation of Pain Medicine (EDPM, EFIC).
Supervisor of research projects at the Pain Unit of the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Treatment of pain through the use of neurostimulation techniques.
As an educator
Associate professor of the School of Medicine of the University of Navarra.
He is an examiner for the European Society of Anaesthesiology and has been the organizer of the written examination of this society in London.
He has been a fellows tutor by the Faculty of Pain Medicine of the Royal College of Anaesthesiologists.
As a researcher
He has lectured at international conferences, written book chapters and presented studies at national and international conferences.
Ulf Lindblom Award from the European Pain Federation (EFIC) to the best candidate for the European Pain Diploma.
- He is a Senior Fellow of the London Pain Forum.
- He is a member of the Spanish Pain Society, chapter of the International Association for the Study of Pain (IASP).
- He is accredited by the General Medical Council of the United Kingdom.
Latest scientific publications
- Long-term safety of spinal cord stimulation systems in a prospective, global registry of patients with chronic pain Jan 24, 2023 | Magazine: Pain Management
- Treatment of non-malignant chronic pain: paradigm shift and multidisciplinary management Aug 30, 2022 | Magazine: Anales del Sistema Sanitario de Navarra