Dr. Miguel Fernández de Sanmamed Gutiérrez
Preferential dedication to the study of immunology and immunotherapy of skin tumors with a transnational approach from experimental models to clinical trials.
Degree (2005) in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Santiago de Compostela and PhD (2011) in Medicine from the University of Oviedo.
He specialized in Medical Oncology at the Hospital Universitario Central de Asturias (Oviedo, 2010).
Post-doctorate at the University of Navarra with a Rio Ortega contract (2011-2013).
Postdoctoral fellow in the Immunobiology program at Yale University (USA) from 2013 to 2018.
Specialist in the Department of Medical Oncology at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, Co-Coordinator of the Skin Tumor Area at the University of Navarra Cancer Center and Principal Investigator in the Immunology and Immunotherapy Program at the Cima University of Navarra since 2018.
- Principal investigator in the Immunology and Immunotherapy Program of the Cima Universidad de Navarra.
- Principal investigator in 3 projects funded by independent national and 1 international organization.
- Principal investigator of several early clinical trials at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra, preferentially associated with immunotherapy of skin tumors.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Cancer immunotherapy research with special interest in skin tumors, with a translational approach from experimental models to clinical trials.
- Development of new tools for the study of the tumor microenvironment with humanized animal models and the implementation of multi-parametric single cell technologies.
As an educator
- Associate Clinical Professor at the Universidad de Navarra (Spain).
- Adjunct Associate Professor at Yale University (USA).
- Visiting Professor at the Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Co-director of a doctoral thesis and director of three master's theses.
As a researcher
- Author of more than 70 articles published in international scientific journals.
- Collaborator in more than 5 chapters of books in the specialty.
- Advisor to the Spanish Association for Cancer Research (ASEICA).
- Member of the ESMO Clinical Research Observatory Task Force (ECRO).
- 2016 | European Society of Medical Oncology (ESMO). Annual Meeting Travel Award.
- 2011 | Spanish Society of Medical Oncology Annual Meeting. Best Oral Communication Award.
Latest scientific publications
- Whole exome sequencing characterization of individuals presenting extreme phenotypes of high and low risk of developing tobacco-induced lung adenocarcinoma Mar 1, 2021 | Magazine: Translational Lung Cancer Research
- Immune Checkpoint Inhibitors Effective Against Uncommon Oncogene-Driven NSCLC Subtypes? Apr 1, 2020 | Magazine: Journal of Thoracic Oncology