Dr. Ignacio Melero Bermejo
Specialist in Immunology
Preferential dedication to experimental cancer immunotherapy
Graduated (1988) in Medicine from the University of Navarra and a Ph.D. (1994), with an extraordinary doctorate award, from the Autonomous University of Madrid. He specialized in Immunology at the Hospital Universitario de la Princesa (Madrid, 1993). He worked for four years in the research center of the company Bristol Myers-Squib in Seattle (USA).
Co-director of the Immunology and Immunotherapy Service since 2015.
Senior researcher at the Center for Applied Medical Research (CIMA).
- His lines of research focus on cancer immunology and immunotherapy with a transnational approach from experimental models to clinical trials. He has been awarded the BIAL Grand Prize for Medicine, the Count of Cartagena Award from the Royal Academy of Medicine and the Dr. Durantez Award from the LAIR Foundation.
AREAS OF INTEREST
- Cancer Immunology and Immunotherapy
- Biological Cancer Therapy
- Monoclonal antibody clinical trials
- Cellular Immunotherapy
- Gene therapy
As an educator
Professor of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra.
Professor of Immunology by competitive examination since 2004.
He has given numerous conferences, courses and seminars.
As a researcher
He has written over 180 articles in national and international scientific journals.
Author and co-author of 12 chapters of books in the specialty.
He has presented 65 communications to international congresses and 27 to national ones.
He has published more than 130 research papers.
- In October 2018, he was appointed corresponding academic of the Royal National Academy of Medicine of Spain.
- In July 2020, he received the Francisco Cobos Foundation Award in recognition of his scientific career.
- Spanish Society of Immunology
- American Association of Immunologists
- American society of Gene Therapy
- Spanish Association of Gene Therapy
- American Association of Cancer Research
Latest scientific publications
- 4-1BB (CD137) in anticancer chimeras Dec 7, 2020 | Magazine: The Journal of Experimental Medicine
- Efficacy and Safety of Nivolumab Plus Ipilimumab in Patients With Advanced Hepatocellular Carcinoma Previously Treated With Sorafenib Oct 1, 2020 | Magazine: JAMA Oncology