Dr. Gorka Bastarrika
Co-Director of the Radiodiagnostic Service.
Specialist in Radiodiagnostics
Preferential dedication to thoracic radiology and cardiac imaging
He has a degree in Medicine and Surgery and a Doctor of Medicine from the University of Navarra. He completed his residency in Radiology at the University of Navarra Clinic.
He completed his training in cardiothoracic imaging in hospitals of international prestige such as Klinikum Grosshadern and St. Johannes Hospital in Germany and the Royal Bromptom Hospital in London.
He later completed a fellowship in cardiovascular research at the Medical University of South Carolina. He worked in the thoracic radiology section and was director of the Cardiac Imaging Unit at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
After being appointed Associate Professor at the University of Toronto, he worked as section chief of cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) in the cardiothoracic imaging unit of the medical imaging department at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto, Canada.
He has participated in numerous research projects.
AREAS OF INTEREST
His main areas of interest are non-invasive cardiac imaging and thoracic radiology.
As an educator
Accredited as University Professor in the area of Radiology and Physical Medicine by the National Agency for Quality Assessment and Accreditation (ANECA) and holds a diploma in Cardiac Radiology from the European Society of Cardiac Radiology.
As a researcher
Author of more than 250 communications to national and international congresses, more than 140 scientific articles and 12 book chapters, and is editor or co-editor of 3 books on cardiac imaging.
He has given more than 150 invited lectures and has participated in numerous round tables of congresses of the specialty.
- Member of several scientific societies, he has participated as a member of the scientific committee in the organization of congresses.
- He is currently the vice-president of the Spanish Society of Cardiothoracic Imaging (SEICAT).
- He has received several research awards, prizes in congresses and prizes for publications.
Latest scientific publications
- Sex-based differences in late gadolinium enhancement among patients with acute myocarditis Jul 13, 2023 | Magazine: European Journal of Radiology
- Magnetic resonance in patients with cardiovascular devices. SEC-GT CRMTC/SEC-Heart Rhythm Association/SERAM/SEICAT consensus document Jun 1, 2023 | Magazine: Radiología