Dr. Francisco Javier Serrano
Specialist in Radiation Oncology.
Preferential dedication to research, diagnosis and oncological treatment of head and neck tumors, lung cancer and sarcomas (tumors of the musculoskeletal system). Experience in Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), 4D Simulation and Treatment, Extracranial Stereotactic Radiation Therapy (SBRT) and especially, Intraoperative Electron Beam Therapy (IORT) in sarcomas, digestive, gynecological and breast tumors.
Graduate in General Medicine and Surgery (UMH of Elche) (1990-1996).
Specialist doctor via MIR in Radiotherapy Oncology (2000 - 2004).
Radioactive Facilities Supervisor License, granted by the CSN (2001 - present).
Doctor of Medicine from the Complutense University of Madrid (2009).
Assistant Doctor in the Radiation Oncology Department of the General University Hospital Gregorio Marañón in Madrid (2006 - 2019).
Master in Applied Statistics in Health Sciences (UAB) (2018).
Higher Diploma in Research Methodology (ENS-ISCIII, 2009).
Two-month stay (2004) at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center (New York) with specific training in clinical indications, dosimetric planning and use of intensity-modulated and dynamic multicollimation radiotherapy (IMRT) in various locations, mainly in the prostate and head and neck.
Principal Investigator and Collaborator in several Research Projects with Competitive Financing (FIS - ISCIII).
Head of the Oncology Research Group of the H. Gregorio Marañón Research Institute (2018 - 2019).
Collaborating researcher in different clinical treatment trials, mainly in the field of head and neck cancer and lung cancer.
AREAS OF INTEREST
Multimodal diagnostic study and oncological treatment of head and neck tumors, lung cancer and sarcomas (tumors of the musculoskeletal system).
Implementation of technological innovation in the healthcare field, mainly in the area of Radiation Oncology, by identifying new cases of use for clinical application (3D printing, augmented or mixed reality, predictive algorithms with Artificial Intelligence (AI) based on Radiomics, Internet of Things (IoT), ChatBots for communication and patient support, etc).
As an educator
Associate Professor in the Department of Radiology of the Faculty of Medicine of the Complutense University of Madrid since 2011, being Responsible and Coordinator of the subject of General Radiology since 2018.
Director of several Doctoral Theses and research works for obtaining research sufficiency (DEA).
Director of several End of Degree and End of Master Works, within the Biosanitary area.
Collaborating Professor at the Universidad Politécnica Carlos III de Madrid.
Director of numerous Postgraduate Courses on Scientific Research Methodology aimed at medical specialists.
As a researcher
Author and Co-author of several scientific articles (15) in specialized magazines, as well as author and collaborator of numerous chapters in books (18) related to the specialty.
He has presented, as author and co-author, numerous scientific communications (77) in both national and international congresses of Radiation Oncology.
- Member of the Board of Directors of GICOR - Clinical Research Group in Radiation Oncology since 2019.
- Member of ESTRO - EUROPEAN SOCIETY FOR THERAPEUTICS RADIOLOGY AND ONCOLOGY (since 2006).
- Member of the society SEOR - SOCIEDAD ESPAÑOLA DE ONCOLOGIA RADIOTERAPICA (since 2002).
- Member of the society GEORCC/TTCC - SPANISH GROUP TREATMENT OF HEAD AND NECK TUMORS (since 2017).
- Member of GOECP - ONCOLOGICAL GROUP FOR THE STUDY OF LUNG CANCER (since 2017).
Latest scientific publications
- Hospital-based proton therapy implementation during the COVID pandemic: early clinical and research experience in a European academic institution May 23, 2023 | Magazine: Clinical & Translational Oncology
- Practice-oriented solutions integrating intraoperative electron irradiation and personalized proton therapy for recurrent or unresectable cancers: Proof of concept and potential for dual FLASH effect Nov 14, 2022 | Magazine: Frontiers in Oncology