Graduated (1986) and Doctor (1992) in Medicine and Surgery from the University of Valladolid. Doctor of Medicine from the University of Valladolid (1993).
University Specialist in Bioethics (1995) and Master in Palliative Medicine (2000).
Specialist in Radiation Oncology (1997) by the University Hospital of Valladolid, where he participated in the implementation of the first palliative care team of Castilla y León. Clinical Research Fellow at the University of Alberta in Canada (1998).
Director of the Palliative Medicine Service at the Clínica Universidad de Navarra.
As an educator
Professor of Palliative Medicine, Department of Clinical Training of the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Navarra and in charge of the subject Palliative Medicine.
As a researcher
He has published the books:
- EAPC Atlas of Palliative Care in Europe (2019).
- Brief Manual on Health Indicators Monitoring Global Palliative Care Development (2019).
- White Book for Global Palliative Care Advocacy (2018).
- APCA Atlas of Palliative Care in Africa (2017).
- Atlas of Palliative Care in Eastern Mediterranean Region (2017).
- Atlas of Palliative Care in Latin America (2013).
- Handbook of Palliative Medicine (2009).
- Introduction to Palliative Medicine (1998).
In addition, he is the author of more than 60 research papers, published in national and international journals, on end-stage communication, neurotoxicity, delirium, methadone, subcutaneous drug administration, service development, etc.
Latest scientific publications
- WhatsApp as a facilitator of expressions of gratitude for palliative care professionals Aug 17, 2022 | Magazine: International Journal of Medical Informatics
- Palliative Professionals' Experiences of Receiving Gratitude: A Transformative and Protective Resource May 15, 2022 | Magazine: Qualitative Health Research