Absence of spontaneous response improvement beyond day +100 after autologous stem cell transplantation in multiple myeloma
Fernández de Larrea C (1), Dávila J (2), Isola I (1), Ocio EM (2), Rosiñol L (1), García-Sanz R (2), Cibeira MT (1), Tovar N (1), Rovira M (1), Mateos MV (2), Miguel JS (3), Bladé J (1).
(1) Amyloidosis and Myeloma Unit, Department of Hematology, Hospital Clinic. Institut d'Investigacions Biomèdiques August Pi i Sunyer (IDIBAPS), Barcelona, Spain.
(2) Department of Hematology, Hospital Universitario de Salamanca, Instituto de Investigación Biomédica de Salamanca (IBSAL), Centro de Investigación del Cáncer (IBMCC-USAL, CSIC), Salamanca, Spain.
(3) Clínica Universitaria de Navarra, Centro de Investigación Médica Aplicada (CIMA), Pamplona, Spain.
Revista: Bone Marrow Transplantation
Fecha: 21-nov-2016Hematología y Hemoterapia
The response evaluation after autologous stem-cell transplantation (ASCT) is usually performed at day +100 in patients with multiple myeloma (MM). A recent report suggests that improvement in the response can be observed beyond day +100.
The aim of the present study has been to evaluate the rate of improved response and outcome beyond day +100 after ASCT, with and without maintenance therapy. One hundred and forty-four patients who underwent single ASCT with chemosensitive disease and achieved less than CR at day 100 post ASCT were evaluated.
Seventy-four patients (51.4%) did not receive any maintenance with only one of them showing an upgrade in the response. The remaining 70 patients (48.6%) received maintenance therapy; eleven of them (15.7%) improved their response beyond day +100.
The outcome of these patients was better than those who did not upgrade their response in both progression-free survival and overall survival (P=0.019 and P=0.031, respectively).
In conclusion, the improvement in response beyond day +100 after ASCT in patients not receiving any therapy is exceedingly rare. A minority of patients receiving maintenance therapy after ASCT upgrades their response and this finding is associated with better outcome.
CITA DEL ARTÍCULO Bone Marrow Transplant. 2016 Nov 21. doi: 10.1038/bmt.2016.299
tal vezLE INTERESE
La Clínica es el hospital privado con mayor dotación tecnológica de España, todo en un único centro.
Los profesionales de la Clínica realizan una labor continuada de investigación y formación, siempre en beneficio del paciente.
Conozca por qué somos diferentes a otros centros sanitarios. Calidad, rapidez, comodidad y resultados.